First Brew in a Long Time PITA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After 13 years of brewing I now know what a stuck sparge is like. First off, some grains got under my plastic false bottom and clogged the elbow. I had to empty the tun to clear it. :( I guess I will see about hot side aeration!
After re-filling the tun I got the flow going for about 10 minutes then it stopped again. I stirred the mash and noticed that the grain bed was highly compacted. After breaking up the grain bed the flow started again and I was able to finish sparging. I'm wondering if the flaked Corn caused the problems or maybe too fine a crush setting on my mill. Thinking back I adjusted it to a smaller gap in order to crush some rye malt last time I brewed.
I wanted to brew a 6 gallon batch but after 1 hour and 45 minute boil I ended up with 7 1/2 gallons. I guess it's time to recalculate the evaporation rate...

Well it's in the fermenter and yeast is pitched. That was a fun 7 hour session. :drunk:

Geez, Rich, that really sucks. Welcome back to brewing, huh?

It's probably no help to you to tell you that it probably wasn't the flaked corn because I've used it and never had a problem. I have a stainless false bottom, but it's probably very similar. I would bet it was your crush, especially since you think it was crushed too fine.

Just think, though, this might be one of your best beers ever and you will try to replicate it forever and can't.

Still, I'm glad you're brewing again and back into the obsession. :mug:

YooperBrew said:
Geez, Rich, that really sucks. Welcome back to brewing, huh?

It's probably no help to you to tell you that it probably wasn't the flaked corn because I've used it and never had a problem. I have a stainless false bottom, but it's probably very similar. I would bet it was your crush, especially since you think it was crushed too fine.

Just think, though, this might be one of your best beers ever and you will try to replicate it forever and can't.

Still, I'm glad you're brewing again and back into the obsession.
Really I can't complain. I've got a fermenter full of wort that is already bubbling away.

You are right. I will never be able to recreate the conditions of this brew so if it is good it may be a one time thing.

It felt really good to be brewing again! :mug:

Beerrific said:
RDWHAHB!! :D :D
I'm definitely relaxing now! :mug:

Back