Straining hops from wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPAbrewing

Reaction score
So, I'm pretty sure i may have screwed up a batch of beer! I forgot to strain the hops out of the wort before i put it in the bucket to ferment. I then added some citra hops after about a week for "dry hopping" (never done that before, so not sure i did it correctly). Anyways, i'm hoping to bottle tomorrow, but i don't know the best way to get all the hops out so i don't end up with them in the bottles. I was thinking of using a sanitized strainer to skim off the top and then just try to siphon it out carefully. I typically don't use a secondary, but maybe i should in the future. Any thoughts? Is my beer a goner? or is it just going to be crazy hoppy?

Thanks for any advice!!

In the future, use a small bag to contain the dry hops. The boil hops should have settled out.

I brew mostly with whole leaf hops. I just dump them in, no bags. At the end of the boil I lay my double mesh strainer across the top of my bucket and pour my wort thru the strainer. Like magic - no hops, just wort. If it is a hoppy brew I may need to stop and dump the strainer once or twice. But it never takes more than a minute to transfer and strain the wort. I used to use glass carboys for fermenting, but now exclusively use buckets - for the ease of transferring and straining wort.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VZERX4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I use wire mesh tea infusers from Bed Bath and Beyond. I bought four of the large ones for like five bucks each. No problems so far.

metal-tea-infuser.jpg

Back