New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't recall if I posted this or not but greenway juices at te kauwhata sells fresh unpastuerised apple juice straight into you fermentor for about $1.30 a litre. Just give them a call to make sure they're pressing that day

Greenways are the best juice at the supermarket, IMHO, but they didn't reply to an email requesting a quote on delivery of 10 or 20 litres of juice, so I'm juicing the cheap apples from the local market.

I see cheap Quince for sale on Trade Me. Please don't raise the bidding up.

Yeah I bought a tank especially, 3.5kg for $190 here in chch.
Cutting up my fridge tonight, to get my taps in, already got a hole for the co2 line.
Looking forward to it.

I'm a little way off that - brewing this weekend to get it into a keg though. Will sort the rest of the keg setup while its fermenting, it'll make me sort it out :p

Simple beer - Vienna malt and I'm thinking Citra & Riwka to see how they pair.

So has anyone here tried making a cider out of Pam's home style apple juice (or something like that)? It's cloudy, rather than clear, and comes in 3 litre bottles. No preservatives and the expected caution on the label (refrigerate and consume within four days of opening). Obviously, you'd need to throw in some pectic enzyme as it would be pasteurised, in all likelihood. But it seems a good option to me.

Hi all,

I'm new to brewing, and new to the forum. Man this place is sweet!

im in Palmerston and starting off with extract kits for beer mostly. I'm sure I will be asking for help soon:) haha

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Apparently a combo used in Hop Zombie.....now to sort the US hops & grain bill :rockin:

Ah Yes it is too.
My understanding of Hop Zombie is 50/50 Pilsner/Pale as well.
Is the rmore than just riwaka and citra in there? I always thought there were 4 hops in hop zombie?

and Welcome Jes, Palmerston North u mean? Or Palmerston down south?

Some windfall Feijoa in Auckland, but they are hard and unripe, and they rot when left in the sun instead of ripening. Nevertheless I have juiced them to make about 1.5 litres of wine. Maybe later in the season there will be better Feijoa available. The ones on TradeMe look like my windfall ones.

My Facebook winemaking photo blog is here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152048803666313&type=1&l=33937a81c8

Just mashed in a Pale Ale. All Vienna malt with a touch of Riwaka and Citra. Might throw some Motueka in for a dry hop as well

Just mashed in a Pale Ale. All Vienna malt with a touch of Riwaka and Citra. Might throw some Motueka in for a dry hop as well

Hydro reading with temperature adjustment says we missed pre boil by a couple of points. Not bad. Aiming for a pre boil of 1.038 sitting at 1.033

Lunchie I just tried your Superbeer. Fantastic fluffy head. Took 2 hours to get through it. Delicious.

Anticipating a hangover in the morning.

Must drop you round a Saison. Or did I already?

Lunchie I just tried your Superbeer. Fantastic fluffy head. Took 2 hours to get through it. Delicious.

Anticipating a hangover in the morning.

Must drop you round a Saison. Or did I already?

Cheers dude. I still think thats my best beer yet and its still "fresh". I've got one in the fridge and a sneaky 6 pack in the cellar. I reckon it'll get better with age. Nah I dont think a saison was in the last care package.
We should try and organise a meetup and swap with other Palmy North people on here...

Dont know about yours but mines a bit fuzzy from the great kiwi beer fest in Christchurch. Stone for the win. Immense beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hahahahah mine was a little fuzzy. Opening of our rugby club this weekend so was a fairly decent afternoon/night!

I'm yet to have any Stone beers. All I hear are good things, so hope I'm not disappointed when I do :)

Damn. A mouse chewed its way in ( through a wall and then the cardboard box) and ate my honeymalt. No wonder he wasn't going for the peanut butter on the traps.

Brewing up a Zythos Citra IPA from brewshop tonight.

Rob, you managed to figure out and fix your keg issues??

Leaks seem to be sorted. Having problems with length now. I'm starting to wonder if because of my issues the beer is over carbed. I bought 10 metres of line so I'll run 3 metres and see what happens from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Leaks seem to be sorted. Having problems with length now. I'm starting to wonder if because of my issues the beer is over carbed. I bought 10 metres of line so I'll run 3 metres and see what happens from there.

Nothing but issues!!! Good to hear the leaks are sorted.
I'm running 4m of beer line I think, actually haven't measured it, to a picnic tap. Everything I've read is longer is better.

You running to a draft tap or picnic tap?

Nothing but issues!!! Good to hear the leaks are sorted.
I'm running 4m of beer line I think, actually haven't measured it, to a picnic tap. Everything I've read is longer is better.

You running to a draft tap or picnic tap?

Draft tap, where you get the line etc.?

Hi Chrissy ,Canterbury ,have made a few batches of spirits, 3 of beer ,first one was real nice ,second a bit flat , third just ok ,have been making wine at moment started with a couple of kits now making a Hedgerow pkt with all the main bits like yeast ,nutrient, Bentonite, citric acid and other bits am fermenting apple and rosehips just waiting for it to finish before starting another mix

Hi Chrissy ,Canterbury ,have made a few batches of spirits, 3 of beer ,first one was real nice ,second a bit flat , third just ok ,have been making wine at moment started with a couple of kits now making a Hedgerow pkt with all the main bits like yeast ,nutrient, Bentonite, citric acid and other bits am fermenting apple and rosehips just waiting for it to finish before starting another mix

Welcome chrissy, I'm in the wet chch as well.
Check out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/494714937209424/
a good community of people all willing to help out etc.

Hey guys Iv just signed up recently haha I'm from Wanganui and loving my new beer brewing hobby. I have been brewing spirits for some years now. It's so addictive :D

2 kegs, one fridge.
Stoked as to have them both hooked up. Just need to get a second picnic tap then I can serve from both. Keg on the left in the Waitui Pale Ale, a Beligan IPA, on the right is a full keg of V.H.S a house Pale Ale with Vienna, Hallertau (Pacifica) and Simcoe

IMG_0180[1].jpg

Looking good.

I went online grain shopping last night, just need a kilo of pilsen and 2 of vienna to make Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer, about 8$ worth at allgrain AND FREE SHIPPING! I had to message them saying that they weren't calculating the shipping costs correctly but no, free to lower north island.

:ban: :rockin: :mug:

Nice Work guys.
I've got an attempt at a tuatara clone in the fermenter, with an imperial porter with oak and bourbon in secondary, for the SJPORR challange.

Hi guys you sound as though your really into the beer, haven't tried with grain yet I was mainly Alcohol ,have done 3 lots of ready made about to start another soon , been learning to make my own wine with some help from Yooper she really knows her stuff well good luck with the new batch ,

Hi guys you sound as though your really into the beer, haven't tried with grain yet I was mainly Alcohol ,have done 3 lots of ready made about to start another soon , been learning to make my own wine with some help from Yooper she really knows her stuff well good luck with the new batch ,

Thats all good, we all started somewhere :) Welcome to the madness!

Back