New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, after seeing these posts I went and added a club database section to the NewZealand Brewer website. This way people can find clubs in their area and perhaps we can better organize club competitions and events across NZ. This just went up today so there are not many clubs added yet, but there is a submission form at the bottom of the page. Please add your clubs: http://www.newzealandbrewer.co.nz/find-a-club/

Added Palmy to the group. We're a relatively young group. Had about 4 meet ups so far. We don't have any structure as such but there is a core of about 4 of us that keep things ticking along :)

Happy as to get some regional competitions going. Anything to share the beer!

Added Palmy to the group. We're a relatively young group. Had about 4 meet ups so far. We don't have any structure as such but there is a core of about 4 of us that keep things ticking along :)

Happy as to get some regional competitions going. Anything to share the beer!

Sweet as, thanks. Added you guys to the list. Once we get a few more groups on the list, regional, or even national comp would be awesome. If nothing else, some homebrew swaps are probably in order.

Sweet as, thanks. Added you guys to the list. Once we get a few more groups on the list, regional, or even national comp would be awesome. If nothing else, some homebrew swaps are probably in order.

Good work guys.... Keen as to get involved

Hey jonny,

Added to the list for you.

Don't forget our Official Launch on 1st May.
Brewing at Two Thumb Brewery in Central Chch.

Hi Everyone, just a reminder about the CHBA Launch at Two Thumb Brewery this Sunday in Chch.
the recipe has been finalised and the sausages are thawing.....

Hey Sadu where did you get these growlers from?
(didn't want to hijack the hefe thread)

attachment.php

I got 9 of them for $2 each at our local recycling centre in Wanaka. They were filthy and had no lids but still a bargain. They are great to ferment 5 litre batches in. I 3D printed some lids then later replaced them with silicone plugs which seal better (which cost more than the growlers).
There was a lady on Facebook who had hundreds of these for sale - they are probably all gone now but I can find the post if you are interested.

Anyone in New Zealand want to do a yeast swap?

I have the following in my fridge...

Wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favourite 50
W34/70 lager
US-05 American ale
WB-06 Wheat
Nottingham
Sourdough starter for breadmaking

Most of those are dry yeasts which isn't super-exciting but if those first 2 are any use to anyone the cost of a courier bag is way less than buying a new pack.

I'd be keen to try any English or Belgian ale yeast, saison would be great, or Wyeast 3068 hefeweizen.

I have to share this pic of my Cascade plant.

Bought this back in August and kept it indoors until September, taking it outside for sun each day then back inside at night. I live in Wanaka where late frost is a definite thing.

The plant has been slowly not doing much, then about 2 weeks ago the first bine was long enough to touch the steel mesh. Now it's cranking along real good!

IMG_20161203_140121_1[1].jpg

Oh dear. Tuatara sold to DB. They lost me with the Amarillo shenanigans anyway.

the whole trademarkingthing was totally idiotic.
but i haven't really had much of their beer recently, mostly becausethe ones i've had from stores has been crap. (old, infected, oxidised, and other stuff)

there are just better breweries out there now.

but itssmart on DB's part, they were losing massive ground to Lion, whcih emersons and panhead pulling big punches in to a new market.

I don't recall having a Tuatara beer that I thought was great. No big deal to me - if someone gave me one of their beers in a glass I would have assumed it was a Lion / DB craft beer.

I also don't like how Tuatara almost bankrupted Townsend brewery due to
their contract brewing.

Panhead on the other hand still kicks arse. I had doubts about how they would go but had a dozen extra pale ales in cans over Christmas period and they were delicious.

I don't recall having a Tuatara beer that I thought was great. No big deal to me - if someone gave me one of their beers in a glass I would have assumed it was a Lion / DB craft beer.

I also don't like how Tuatara almost bankrupted Townsend brewery due to
their contract brewing.

Panhead on the other hand still kicks arse. I had doubts about how they would go but had a dozen extra pale ales in cans over Christmas period and they were delicious.

For me Tuatara are still a good brewery, but the new breweries outthere have just gotten better than them. (i.e there are better beers out there now) I think that was why they re-branded last year, and now they've sold which looks to me like a re-branding to suit the DB way of life a little bit.

Tuatara make pretty reasonable beer, and their wheat is pretty damn good. But the Townsend thing was pathetic as hell. Passing the buck on their poor quality control.

Wondering what has happend with Moa, as its been more difficult to get their entire range of beer locally (Palmy) and definitely never seen their canned product.

I stopped buying Tuatara after the Townsend thing. Not that I bought a lot anyway, but I was totally unimpressed with how that was handled. Tuatara totally washed their hands of the matter with their carefully worded response, while (weirdly) making it look as if everything was all good and matey still with Townsend.

I figure they weren't 100% responsible but since they brewed it and stored it, they needed to cop some of the blame and go some way towards making things right.

I have had dud beers from other breweries before, it's not a big deal so long as they replace the product without any dramas and it's not something that happens all the time.

I stopped buying Tuatara after the Townsend thing. Not that I bought a lot anyway, but I was totally unimpressed with how that was handled. Tuatara totally washed their hands of the matter with their carefully worded response, while (weirdly) making it look as if everything was all good and matey still with Townsend.

I figure they weren't 100% responsible but since they brewed it and stored it, they needed to cop some of the blame and go some way towards making things right.

I have had dud beers from other breweries before, it's not a big deal so long as they replace the product without any dramas and it's not something that happens all the time.

Funny you should mention that. I noticed a distinct drop off of quality in tuatara beers around the same time too.
I bought 2 six packs of sauvinova, only to have all 12 fizz (i'd call it gush, but it didn't really I purposely opened one and went to the toilet, only to find when i came back 50ml or so had fizzed outthetop. Beers were still 10 months prior to BB dates. (Beer i believe has a BB date of 12 months from packaging)

cant say I have had any off ones, but only brought the warrior lately.

I never purchase anything from funk estate after a couple of bad products and being basically dismissed when i complained about it. I have had one bottle since, and that was the gabs six pack where i couldnt avoid it. That one sucked as well.

I had a bunch of gushers from Invercargill a few years ago, when they had all the issues with the yeastie boys products.

Hi guys - do You have any idea if there's a possibility to buy few pounds of fresh hops somewhere on the northern island (around Hamilton)? My friend's on a business trip there and it could be great to get some fresh NZ hops back to Poland, yet i've been googling for some time right now without any luck. I've found some shops but i rather look for few pounds of Galaxy or Nelson than several 3oz repacked sealed bags who know how and for how long stored somewhere in the magazine.

The brewhouse (Auckland I think) was taking preorders for wet hops that will be ready in early march. I'm not sure if anyone else has them earlier, and presumably you want them dried or as pellets. The weather has been rubbish, my hop plant is only just starting to form cones.
You could try emailing NZ hops and see if they can suggest anywhere.

Damn - looks like it's the worst time for a business trip, a few weeks before fresh harvest. Feels like being 4th in a competition :( Thanks for the help though.

Hi All,
shameless Plug here for the new - Official Home Brew Club here in Christchurch.
we are launching 1st May, for anyone in the area, check outthe Faacebook event.

CHEERS>

Hi, I was part of the U.S. Antarctic programme from 1987-1980. When passing through Christchurch, I always sought out Broford’s Ale. The brewery has apparently closed because I cannot find it on line. Would any of your home brew club remember this ale or have a recipe? It had a very distinct flavor. Thanks.

Yes there are a few different ones where are you based? perhaps easier to pm me and then we can chat on the phone.
I see you are in Tawa.

Brewtopians is first Wednesday of the month at Fork and Brewer from about 1800, bring a home brew or two. This is the largest and the one I attend.

There is a porirua group I think and also a lower hutt and heard the other day of a tiny group in Island bay.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I had a troll around the Internet, but didn't find anything :) Of course that was last night... I will definitely pop into Brewtopians, let me put that into my calendar right now...

Back