New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-trips

Reaction score
How many brewers on here from NZ and what do you brew?

I'm from Wellington and brew cider. (may try beer later)
I'm Noobie as - getting my head around techniques and my abilities to start with.

Currently have an LHBS bought cider extract under my belt and in the bottles waiting to age appropriately and also have a basic hooch sitting in the store bought apple juice containers and fermenting away right now.

I am up in aucks I'm doing extract brews and the odd cider. have a keggorator and am starting a kezzer soon

Wgn here, 4 all grain beer biabs under my belt so very much in the making mistakes and learning stage - loving the process though, and the beers are tasting Epic!

Palmy North here. Brewed extract, partial and now onto all grain (BIAB).

Brewed a fair few brews. Had my initial kit since St Paddy's day 2011 and brewed every weekend for a while. Moved into AG about 3 months ago and love it. Knowing what I know now, I think I would've hit AG first up.

I still bottle and it SUCKS. I have about 15 empty crates at any one time, so I have a shed load of bottles, but I really want a kegging system!!

Love brewing, much to the disgust of SWMBO, little bit to much money going out the door :p

Happy to share anything I can with fellow kiwis, I'm no expert, but I loves me some beer!!!

NZLunchie said:
I still bottle and it SUCKS. I have about 15 empty crates at any one time, so I have a shed load of bottles, but I really want a kegging system!!

I brought my 1st coopers DIY kit bout 2 years ago before it was time to bottle I found a cheep $50 old keggorator with tap off trademe. With every think else i think it was around 200 to have a working keg system. I have sence never bottled . I really need to get into all grain but will wait till I have finished my kezzer.

I brought my 1st coopers DIY kit bout 2 years ago before it was time to bottle I found a cheep $50 old keggorator with tap off trademe. With every think else i think it was around 200 to have a working keg system. I have sence never bottled . I really need to get into all grain but will wait till I have finished my kezzer.

That's my plan, just gotta get a little coins behind me first :)

Awesome to know. Do you guys have any blogs about your brewing?

I do....nothing flash: http://manawabrew.blogspot.co.nz/ name is obvious, come from Palmy/Manawatu and I brew, simple play on words :rockin:

Nice Blog - I like the layout.. Much of a mission to create that blog??

Nah easy as. Picked the name and went with it. Really easy to use. Simple template from there as well, only graphics that are mine are the photos.

Looking to brew a SMaSH on Sunday so might throw some more pics and article up.

You say you brew cider. Do you use apple juice or use a kit? I'm keen to brew something like Bulmers, but I can't get fresh juice...

I'm still very new to homebrewing...

So far I used an extract kit about 3 weeks ago and also a week ago started a very basic one from supermarket applejuice.. I have a mate in Hastings who has offered me a swag of apple juice in the nea future - his olds own an orchard and he's just in the process of making a press which will use a forklift somehow (?) - he reckon he'll be able to get 800litres from the "waste apples"

This is what I've done so far..

Extract (currently in bottles and waiting)
p5220510.jpg

Supermarket juice (I'm racking into bottles this weekend)
20120604213618.jpg

Red and Black Country here... Its BLoody cold too! I've got a low alcohol beer in bottles (I over did the water a bit), but it'll be sweet for if I ever have to drive.

Next one is this weekend, Apple and Feijoa Cider https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/apple-feijoa-pineapple-guava-332007/

K-Trips has seen this one, but keep an eye on it , and I'll let you know how it turns out...

What does everyone think of the first line-up for the irish test?

I've tried to make cider, but failed in every step. I've also browsed on here about supermarket juice but couldn't find anything to concrete using us or not. I have heard that the extra vit C that's put in makes for a very tart cider.

k-trips that's a **** load of juice!!! I did look at getting some apples from Massey, they run a rent a tree programme. But alas, I couldn't get my hands on a press.

Nice name crusader1612!! I might be a Manawatu boy, but I support the Crusaders through and through :)

I'll keep an eye on your post there. If it works out then I'll be sure to follow :p

AB's line up. Yeah can't see why Ali and Piri are there. They're not performing at all, just like Nonu and he was dropped....We'll thrash em though!! Good to see the two Aaron's making it as well!!

yeah poor old A Ellis!!! gotta feel for him this time round... should be fine, I kinda want the irish to win, to make a mockery of Mr Hansen though... maybe then they'll bring on board kirwan or rennie or someone with some coaching skills, lol.

LoL but Hansen is a good Canterbury man!! Surely you want him to succeed?
I've heard stories about him when he played back in Canterbury from one of his old team mates who coaches here in Palmy. Sounds like he's one for the rules aye.

Ummm, most of the Muntons LME range, a couple of Black Rock and Mangrove Jacks LME cans. I mixed it up as well by using dextrose and a second can of unhoped LME.

Made a stout with a Black Rock Miners Stout, a can of dark LME and a couple straps of Black Knight licorice. That came out really nice.

Attempted a kiwifruit beer - came out ok, but not what we thought it would come out like. Basically a wheat beer can kit with kiwifruit boiled in it. If I was to do it again, I'd freeze the fruit and rack on top for a month or so.

My first partial was a Fat Yak clone, but I used just Motueka hops, came up really good. Love Motueka hops!! I wouldn't mind doing that again with some other new hops i.e. Riwaka, Zythos, Kohatu or Rakau. It's a good base beer to throw hops at to get a pretty cheap and decent tasting beer.

My first All Grain was an Epic Pale Ale clone. Brewed especially for my 30th in May. That came out fantastic. I used NZ Cascade instead of American Cascade there, felt more Kiwi. By far my best brew. Came in at 6.9% so had some people on there ass pretty quick!

Brewed an Irish Red for my 30th as well loosely based on a recipe from here, not quite what I was looking for but very moreish. I think I'll brew it again but drop the roast malt a little, came in a little too strong for me.

I like to experiment with my brews and as such haven't brewed a beer twice yet - I think the Epic Clone I'll brew again. Has to be my favourite craft brew by far. :mug:

Nice one!

the epic clone sounds ace, i've only just started brewing myself

Did the Munich Lager first. didn't turn out as well I misread the instructions lol bit of a shame, couple of litres too much water.

I just put down my apple and feijoa cider this morning....

Nice one!

the epic clone sounds ace, i've only just started brewing myself

Did the Munich Lager first. didn't turn out as well I misread the instructions lol bit of a shame, couple of litres too much water.

I just put down my apple and feijoa cider this morning....

I have to rate Epic's Pale Ale. Has to be my favourite beer EVER so had to clone it. If you ever get a chance try it yourself. Was pretty easy. Recipe is on here:

Yeah I think the Munich was my first beer to, straight out the box. Nice beer, just need more alcohol in it :p I moved away from the cans of malt and bag of sugar for double cans of malt, on hopped and the other plain. Made a big difference in the beer and boosting the % a little to ;)

I've just finished brewing the JD SMaSH. Got it sitting outside in the fermenter cooling :)

I'll put up some pics later, gotta deal with the little one first.

:mug:

Epic Pale Ale Clone here too guys. Me and a guy at work have been trying to make this since late April and I thought it was funny NZLunchie how you were making it around the same time too! but with far greater success from the details on your website (which is rocking btw).

I've made this 3 times so far with the 1st (20L batch) and 3rd (34L batch) tries being well off the OG mark. I let that ride with the 20L batch and that was still very drinkable but with the 34L batch I had to add table sugar to the boil to make up for lost efficiency.

My 2nd attempt (Anzac day), came out at 1.048 OG so I was pretty stoked with that and it tasted wonderful! my 3rd attempt will be bottled tonight so it'll be interesting to taste what the sugar imparts on the beer - I'm sure it'll be drinkable.

Another clone I've made is the Stone Ruination, which again I didn't hit my OG by a long shot and had to add table sugar to that too - that tasted fine but just not as good as the good old EPA.

So yeah still very much 'playing' around with the gear I have and trying improve on my crap efficiency but am still loving the process. :)

When I feel I've got a handle on things I'll look into making a recipe of my own...but no rush.

Cheers!

Epic Pale Ale Clone here too guys. Me and a guy at work have been trying to make this since late April and I thought it was funny NZLunchie how you were making it around the same time too! but with far greater success from the details on your website (which is rocking btw).

I've made this 3 times so far with the 1st (20L batch) and 3rd (34L batch) tries being well off the OG mark. I let that ride with the 20L batch and that was still very drinkable but with the 34L batch I had to add table sugar to the boil to make up for lost efficiency.

My 2nd attempt (Anzac day), came out at 1.048 OG so I was pretty stoked with that and it tasted wonderful! my 3rd attempt will be bottled tonight so it'll be interesting to taste what the sugar imparts on the beer - I'm sure it'll be drinkable.

Another clone I've made is the Stone Ruination, which again I didn't hit my OG by a long shot and had to add table sugar to that too - that tasted fine but just not as good as the good old EPA.

So yeah still very much 'playing' around with the gear I have and trying improve on my crap efficiency but am still loving the process. :)

When I feel I've got a handle on things I'll look into making a recipe of my own...but no rush.

Cheers!

I've done it the once with the 20L version. Magic. Will definitely brew again!

Have you got a recipe for the Stone Ruination? I'd been keen to have a go.

Onto my brew day....Only managed to get a couple of snaps. First one is 24L of water and 8kgs of grains. Pretty full pot!! Second shot is 23L rolling boil.

Thats pretty much my gear, the 31L pot I use for everything, the little 15L for sparge water, 1 grain bag, 1 hop bag and a gas stove top. Oh and 4 yellow pegs :p

I got a 2 ring burner yesterday as well to use in boil but ran out of time to get the gas bottle filled up. Thats the next plan, try a brew with a 2 ring burner, if that fails, 3 ring, then I'll get a 50L keg to use as a kettle = MOAR BEER :drunk:

IMG_20120610_142517.jpg

IMG_20120610_155750.jpg

Hi - Lower Hutt here, I'm into my second year AG and have been going on an English ale bent recently, with mixed results. Also just got my temp control sorted and kicked off lagering which is a whole other hobby's worth of expertise it seems.

Nice to see what you're all up to.

Onto my brew day....Only managed to get a couple of snaps. First one is 24L of water and 8kgs of grains. Pretty full pot!! Second shot is 23L rolling boil.

Thats pretty much my gear, the 31L pot I use for everything, the little 15L for sparge water, 1 grain bag, 1 hop bag and a gas stove top. Oh and 4 yellow pegs :p

I got a 2 ring burner yesterday as well to use in boil but ran out of time to get the gas bottle filled up. Thats the next plan, try a brew with a 2 ring burner, if that fails, 3 ring, then I'll get a 50L keg to use as a kettle = MOAR BEER :drunk:

nICE! i LIKE IT, i'D LOVE TO GET INTO THIS SORTA STUFF, BUT I NEED TO LEARN SOME MORE ABOUT EVERYTHING FIRST. LOL

Yeah it is magic - I think I'm just going to keep brewing it till I have it nailed and then refine it from there.

Here's the Stone clone that I tried and even though I missed the OG by a mile it still tasted bloody good: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/stone-ruination-clone-155771/

Thanks for the pics of your brewday looks like things are pretty full up! I've already upgraded my pot from a 35L to a 70L jobbie and by the looks of your pot it looks like it's from the same guy on Trademe!

got a 2 ring burner yesterday as well to use in boil but ran out of time to get the gas bottle filled up

I did 2 brews with gas on my deck, but had a guts full of the gale northerly winds blowing the flame out and it taking forever to get 27L to a boil! So I invested in a couple of 2000 watt heat-sticks from eBay (for NZ$65) and went all electric and totally indoors!

I've done my last 2 brews this way and really like the convenience of just plugging things in and not worrying about gas refills and the like. However, the sticks are not earthed therefore an electrocution waiting to happen so for my next brew I'm taking a leaf out of the Aussies BIAB book and using cheapo kettle elements!

Can't wait :)

nICE! i LIKE IT, i'D LOVE TO GET INTO THIS SORTA STUFF, BUT I NEED TO LEARN SOME MORE ABOUT EVERYTHING FIRST. LOL

Just do it, once you've done it, you'll be glad you did ;)

Yeah it is magic - I think I'm just going to keep brewing it till I have it nailed and then refine it from there.

Here's the Stone clone that I tried and even though I missed the OG by a mile it still tasted bloody good: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/stone-ruination-clone-155771/

Thanks for the pics of your brewday looks like things are pretty full up! I've already upgraded my pot from a 35L to a 70L jobbie and by the looks of your pot it looks like it's from the same guy on Trademe!

I did 2 brews with gas on my deck, but had a guts full of the gale northerly winds blowing the flame out and it taking forever to get 27L to a boil! So I invested in a couple of 2000 watt heat-sticks from eBay (for NZ$65) and went all electric and totally indoors!

I've done my last 2 brews this way and really like the convenience of just plugging things in and not worrying about gas refills and the like. However, the sticks are not earthed therefore an electrocution waiting to happen so for my next brew I'm taking a leaf out of the Aussies BIAB book and using cheapo kettle elements!

Can't wait :)

Sweet, looks like another one to add into my recipe list :D

lol I was worried when I was putting in the last 2kgs in, got a couple of dough balls in there to, pretty sure I managed to break em up with my Bar-b-mate mash paddle ;)

I've had 25L rolling in there, jut gotta be quick with the hot break, spray bottle with cold water is just there waiting.

I got my pot off a one day sale sight, can't remember which one, but it was only $70 if I recall. I want to go at least 3 50L, just need some time.

I never looked at electric brewing, only gas...reckon its worth it?

you can get those pots off trademe for a pretty decent price... what size are you using??

quick question, I'm fermenting in the spare room, and the mrs. is complaining about the smell sticking and lingering long after my brewing is complete... please tell me shes wrong?! Otherwise I'm gonna have to find alternatives, which mean my great new hobby will haveto be put on hold.

one scenario I'm looking at is a fermenting chamber, to help diguise the smell. sealed and hopefully lined with some stuff I can get from my job.

P.S I don't have power in my garage, but I'm looking into it...

you can get those pots off trademe for a pretty decent price... what size are you using??

quick question, I'm fermenting in the spare room, and the mrs. is complaining about the smell sticking and lingering long after my brewing is complete... please tell me shes wrong?! Otherwise I'm gonna have to find alternatives, which mean my great new hobby will haveto be put on hold.

one scenario I'm looking at is a fermenting chamber, to help diguise the smell. sealed and hopefully lined with some stuff I can get from my job.

P.S I don't have power in my garage, but I'm looking into it...

http://www.crazysales.co.nz/i/stainless_steel_stock_pot_sauce.html

Just brought another one for a HLT :) Pretty much what I've already got.
Grab one or two of those and a large and small grain bag from www.brewshop.co.nz and you're ready to rock. Oh, might need a thermometer as well. I use a cheap candi one but have plans for dials in the new pot :)

As for the smell, yeah I think there is some fermentation smells. I have mine in the hot water cupboard, so I never smell it ;)

Awesome Nice spotting, gotta love those 1day sites!

yeah I've been perousing brewshop.co.nz, in chch we have yourshout.co.nz as well its close by and the prices seem pretty reasonable.

Well here's the JD SMaSH after 10 days of primary and two days on Jack Daniels chips, soaked in Jack Daniels. Gravity of 1.020 higher than I wanted.

Smells like Jack, tastes like beer with a hint of bourbon and strangely vanilla. One more week one the chips to see how she goes.

ForumRunner_20120620_212905.jpg

Lookin Good!
Hey how do you guys boil?? inside or out? and what on if its outside, I'm being kicked outta the house, and was thinking of using my 3 burner bbq? alternatively, what sort of burner is good/sahould be used? i noticed lunchie it says about you using a 2 burner ring? where can i get these from ?? etc. etc. etc.

I used to be on the gas stove top, but its to messy, stinks out the house and makes for a damp house - steam = condensation if its cold out!!

I brought a 2 ring cast iron burner from Mitre 10 (like this one http://www.sella.co.nz/general/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/bbqs/bwffrg/) but Bunnings have them as well. I wanted a 3 ring but settled for a 2 instead. Get the regulator while you're there and off you go. I think all up for the 2 ring and reg cost me <$80 at Mitre 10.

I have seen and heard of people using their BBQ to get a boil going, can't hurt to try, might take longer than expected though.

Well i tested the BBQ Theory!, standard Three burner BBQ, an hour and a half, but no boil, it was very close, but i dont think it could sustain it, i measured out 4 Gallons for insurance purposes to see if it could get it to a boil. but no go. BUGGER!

:O theres a woman in our Midst... haha just kidding, welcome.
Hey Lunchie, I got one of those burners you mentioned! Mean looking thing, its gonna get a rigorous testing tomorrow morning :)
1.5kg Amber LME
1 kg Light DME
1 oz of 12aau Nugget Hops 60 Mins
0.75oz Cascade NZ hops 7aau
Safale us-05 Yeast, rehydrated.
1 week in primary, then dryhop in primary for additional week 0.5oz cascade.
Prime and bottle.

Nice :)
You should take some pics of your brew day!

I plan on bottling the SMaSH next week at some stage, so might throw some pics up.

Yeah please do, that'd bee cool. Brew day went well. no hiccups. it seemd to lose more water than i thought it would during the boil, but thats ok. I'm looking forward to this one.

Hey guys, I just moved to Wellington and I'm looking to get started into extract brewing here. I was wondering were I could go to look for used gear? Trade Me doesn't have much on it and I don't want to buy a whole new kit. Thoughts?

Hey guys, I just moved to Wellington and I'm looking to get started into extract brewing here. I was wondering were I could go to look for used gear? Trade Me doesn't have much on it and I don't want to buy a whole new kit. Thoughts?

I'm not sure there is anything except TradeMe. I have a mate in Pram that has a fermenter, just a plastic kit one, I could see if he wants to part with it. He hasn't brewed since he left Palmy Nth. What else you looking for?

I'm not sure there is anything except TradeMe. I have a mate in Pram that has a fermenter, just a plastic kit one, I could see if he wants to part with it. He hasn't brewed since he left Palmy Nth. What else you looking for?

Thanks for the reply Lunchie. I wouldn't mind checking out what he might want to part with as all I really need would be a fermenter with spigot, bottle capper, hydrometer, a racking cane with some tubing, a bottle-filling attachment and a hydrometer. There's a kit on trade me right now for $42 but the fermenter is only 11.5L and I'd much prefer a full 25-30L fermenter.

Back