Bottle priming from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
What I'm wanting to do is add priming sugar to the keg and use the co2 pressure to pump the beer to my bottles, I don't want to carb in my keg because of foaming to fill bottles, and I don't own a beer gun or any other fancy things. So i want to bottle about 24 bottles amd leave the rest in the keg. My question is whether the priming sugar added, (I would have to prime the entire batch) would affect the taste of the kegged beer

take enough beer out of the keg to fill 24 bottles, put it in a bottling bucket (any other container that you can fill bottles from). add priming sugar to that, and then fill your bottles.

when you keg, you dont want yeast. when you bottle, you need yeast. so trying to do both at once is contradictory.

otherwise, if you ddidnt let the keg warm up and have yeast eat the sugar, yes it will taste like you added sugar to your beer (a small amount, but still more than nothing).

What I'm wanting to do is add priming sugar to the keg and use the co2 pressure to pump the beer to my bottles, I don't want to carb in my keg because of foaming to fill bottles, and I don't own a beer gun or any other fancy things. So i want to bottle about 24 bottles amd leave the rest in the keg. My question is whether the priming sugar added, (I would have to prime the entire batch) would affect the taste of the kegged beer

I have done this before, it works just fine. The beer left in the keg will just naturally carb, and if it doesn't, you can just put more gas on it.

*edit* I have never left some in the keg, I have always bottled the whole batch that way. That being said, you still should be able to leave that beer in the keg and either let it naturally carb. If that doesn't work because of the increased head space, just put the gas on it. The yeast left will eat that small amount of sugar.

You will want to leave the remaining kegged beer at room temp until the yeast eats all the priming sugar and then throw it in the fridge and hoop up the gas. If you don't, it will end up too sweet.

Back