Starter question pt. 1004245

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
Yet another starter question, I'll be doing my first one soon. Is it really this easy? I'll probably be boiling this in an Erlyn Meyer Flask on the stove...

For a 1.040 Starter:

Boil 1 pint of water, add 1/2 cup DME. Boil for 10 minutes, cool, pitch yeast, shake, attach airlock, shake everytime you see it. :confused:

I may be brewing on Saturday and I was thinking about just making the starter on Friday night and brewing the next morning.

Thanks in advance!

No it's not quite that easy.
The problems start when you add the extract to the flask. If you have 1 pt boiling or hot water in the flask, how do you add the dme? If you just try to pour it in, a lot of it will fall on the outside of the flask. :(
If you use a funnel, the steam from the hot water causes the dme to get wet and you end up with a sticky mess in the funnel. :(
If you overcome both of these problems, unless you are very careful, you will get a boil over. :eek:
I find it much easier to add the extract to water in a saucepan, and then pour through a funnel into the flask when it is mixed. You then need to be very careful about boil-overs (depending on the size of the flask).

As David said, if you're not using a stir plate, make it on Thursday or even Wednesday.

-a.

Latest posts

Back