Priming first keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowend

Reaction score
So, I'm getting ready to keg my first batch (5 gallons). I have no idea how much priming I should use. Does anyone know how much I should use?

The typical rule of thumb is to use about half the amount of pirming sugur as you would when bottling. No need to prime however if you are ready to hook up the gas......hope this helps.

So, I'm getting ready to keg my first batch (5 gallons). I have no idea how much priming I should use. Does anyone know how much I should use?

The answer depends on how much carbonation you want and what temperature you plan to store the beer at.

Most beers like ales, lagers, etc., usually will be carbonated to 2.20 – 2.60 volumes.

If storing the keg at 40-degrees F., you should use 2oz of corn sugar to achieve this carbonation level.

If storing the keg at 55-degrees F., you should use 3oz of corn sugar.

If storing the keg at 70-degrees F., you should use 3.6oz of corn sugar.

There may be a calculator somewhere online that will help you determine the correct amount of sugar to use. I used Beersmith for the above calculations.

(results were rounded up slightly for simplicity)

Volumes aren't a good way to measure. You really should be weighing your priming sugar for the best results.

Back