Adding oak chips during bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainBeefheart

Reaction score
Just started a Whiskey Barrel Stout, and while I plan on adding the oak chips when I transfer from primary to secondary, I've been kicking around the idea of setting aside 10 bottles when bottling and dropping an oak chip into each one. I am wondering if there'd be any benefit to this flavor wise?

Benefit? A big oak flavor. Downside? A HUGE oak flavor. Not to mention i believe oak chips will dissolve over time, so hopefully they'd settle into the lees given enough time, otherwise i would wonder about some clarity issues.

sounds like WAY too much oak character. I tend to use less then 1 oz per 5 gallons and limit the contact time to under a week.

Yeah...I think all you'll taste is the oak.

Of the few oaked beers I've had, none of them were appealing to me until they'd been off the oak, aging in bottles, for months and months and months.

I see..I may just try it on two bottles then, I certainly don't want an undrinkable 5 gallons of beer. Thanks for the input.

Back