My Baltic Porter recipe. Please let me know what you think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason29307

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is my first Baltic Porter recipe that I have come up with and I would like to see what you guys think. Please give any advice or if I should add or take out anything. Also if anyone would like to run this through a brewing software(beersmith, beertech, etc..), please do and let me know what it says and what you guys think.
Thanks guys
Jason

I haven't come up with a name yet, but I am up for some suggestions?

Baltic Porter 5 Gallons

LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
6 0 Dark Malt Extract Syrup
2 0 Honey
0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0 8 Oat Malt
0 6 Chocolate Malt
0 4 Coffee Malt
0 4 Cocoa powder
0 2 Black (Patent) Malt

60 mins 1.5 oz Glacier pellet
15 mins 1.0 oz Goldings, East Kent pellet
5 mins 1.0 oz Cascade pellet

Ok, this is what I am thinking.

Steep caramel, oat, chocolate, coffee, and black patent for 30 mins in 3 gallon of water. Take off the burner and add the DLME, bring to a boil and add the glacier, boil for 45 mins, add the east kent goldings, boil for 15 mins, add cascade and honey , boil for 5 mins for a total of 60 mins and add cocoa powder at flame out. The yeast I am thinking of using is White Labs British Ale (WLP005). Primary 1 week, secondary for 4 weeks, then bottle.

So what do you guys think? Should I change the hop schedule? Use a different hop? Add the honey earlier in the boil or after? Add the cocoa powder earlier in the boil or after? Should I use flaked oats instead of oat malt, or are they the same? Please feel free to tell me what you guys think, or if I should change anything.
Hope to hear from you all soon
Jason

Back