Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year has been mostly mild, it's just been the last few weeks, it's poured and flooded a ton. Usually we get a dreary rain or overcast, this year we broke record rainfall for december.....and there's a week left.

Ouch thats some serious rain.

I like to inject turkeys before smoking them. Some people say tent the bird with tinfoil. I don't like doing that. It helps to turn the skin rubbery. I prefer cherrywood or any fruit wood is good. After smoking I like to put it into a hot oven just long enough to crisp up the skin. Oh yeah sometimes I like to stuff it with quartered oranges. Not to be eaten, removed and thrown away afterwards.

Thoughts/help on smoking turkey

I've made a 13 - 14 lb turkey for thanksgiving the last couple of years and I follow the virtual WSM recipe pretty closely and with great success. A 24-hour brine the night before followed by 3 - 3.5 hours on the WSM and it's good to go. Easy, delicious, and it keeps the kitchen clear so my wife can focus on the sides.

Did a 9# butt 2 days ago.

Went to pick up a brisket today and none were to be had...[emoji22]

Ended up getting 2 of those corned beef brisket kits. I assume they will smoke ok for Christmas.

I'm semi-newbie with brisket. I have apple, cherry, hickory and mesquite on hand. Suggestions welcome.

Hickory and fruit blends work well.
Hickory and mesquite blend works well. But will still taste more like mesquite.

Cook to internal temp of 195f
Wait at least 30 min before slicing (if you can stand it.)

Thoughts/help on smoking turkey

Can't recommend the brine enough. I smoked turkeys for about ten years before discovering brining and I promise you I will never, never smoke one without it again. There are numerous brine recipes available on the interwebs - just pick one that sounds good and go for it!

Seriously, though. +1 on a brine. I've had good results with and without, though. A good, accurate temp probe is helpful to not over (or under) cook it.

Thanks everybody . Probe claro que si, little worried the electric smoker is going to struggle to keep it above 200 tomorrow. I've used it in the cold a couple times now but when I made the tenderloin it dropped to 200 but I don't think long enough to do nothing. I'm going to go with butter and olive oil mixed and mixed in with herbs Provence that's the way I do it normally. But in the oven I stuff it with oranges and lemons and onion and rosemary fresh and sage fresh muddle it pretty good really. But for smoking on a cold day I'm thinking no stuffing inside. I will rub the olive oil butter herbs provides mixture under the skin and on top that's my plan.

Thanks everybody . Probe claro que si, little worried the electric smoker is going to struggle to keep it above 200 tomorrow. I've used it in the cold a couple times now but when I made the tenderloin it dropped to 200 but I don't think long enough to do nothing. I'm going to go with butter and olive oil mixed and mixed in with herbs Provence that's the way I do it normally. But in the oven I stuff it with oranges and lemons and onion and rosemary fresh and sage fresh muddle it pretty good really. But for smoking on a cold day I'm thinking no stuffing inside. I will rub the olive oil butter herbs provides mixture under the skin and on top that's my plan.

Whether or not you stuff it with citrus and onion won't matter if you can't keep the smoker up to temp. There could possibly be some risks.
Last thing you want to do is get everyone sick.

You can always put it on the smoker for a couple hours, to get a nice smoke on it, then finish it in the oven with your stuffing. Keep the internal temp under 70 when you do this.

You could spatchcock the bird. This will give more surface area.
You could put a big cardboard box over the top of the smoker to try and insulate it.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

I have actually put two large, folded-up boxes around my smoker when it's cold & windy. I basically made a cardboard windbreak (not so much an insulator)

I put a 13lb turkey & half a ham in the pit with kingsford & pin oak. Rubbed the turkey with olive oil & dusted with salt & herbs de Provence. Just spiral scored the ham. I'll get some cell pics as I go along in a bit here...:rockin: I'll see what they taste like with hellfire IIPA, ESB &/or dry whiskely stout...

Not too shabby for a clearance bird with absolutely no prep or seasoning. Literally just threw it on right out of the bag

Smoked over mesquite and peach
1zl9346.jpg

Canadian bacon cooking in the oven after a couple of cold smoke sessions with corn cob pellets.

IMG_3042_zpsoiouvtpa.jpg

Same batch of cure, but this is a sample of the buckboard bacon I made at the same time.

IMG_3043_zpsbqzagyjy.jpg

Love our oven with the temp probe, set it and walk away. Come back a few hours later and it's done and cooled!

IMG_3040_zps9dwmcwzr.jpg

Mmm, those look great! Did a giant bone-in prime rib last night on the smoker, sans smoke, in place of the oven, for a family gathering. The pic here is a little better than half of it, and we froze the rest for another day. Slathered up with garlic, herbs, and horseradish. Makes a great crust, and the well-seasoned smoker actually imparted some decent flavor, even with no smoke. A nice medium-rare throughout when sliced. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451169186.275641.jpg

my wife bought me a grill pro double door cabinet smoker for christmas was going to season it and do some smoke this weekend but id have to put water wings on to do it as its been raining all day. news said around 4" in next 3 days so probably wont get to use it till next week:smack:

A couple bone-in ribeye steaks for Christmas dinner. Not sure I'll ever top this one!View attachment 325400

Those kinda look like tomahawk ribeyes.. yep, I'd call them tomahawks haha

Mmm, those look great! Did a giant bone-in prime rib last night on the smoker, sans smoke, in place of the oven, for a family gathering. The pic here is a little better than half of it, and we froze the rest for another day. Slathered up with garlic, herbs, and horseradish. Makes a great crust, and the well-seasoned smoker actually imparted some decent flavor, even with no smoke. A nice medium-rare throughout when sliced. View attachment 325476

Latest posts

Back