Beer in Amsterdam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
So my mother-in-law is a flight attendant for Delta and mainly does the Amsterdam flight. She routinely brings back duty free liqour because it is so cheap. So were talking about it the other day and because she is a flight attendant she can carry any sort of liquid on the plane that she wants. I mentioned beer and she said she would love to buy me some beer from Amsterdam if I will just tell her what I want.

So I need someones help. What beer do they have over there that I should have her get? She stays a day or two so I'm sure she can find anything.

Thanks for the help.

She could probably find some good Belgian, German, or English beer. Dutch beer is..., um, eeww I have yet to find something I like.

I've been there a few times (though it's been awhile). Last time I was there, there were 2 brewpubs. Maximiliaan's, which wasn't so good, and this one, who were pretty great:

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/

And they bottle. Their pub is located underneath the last remaining windmill in A'dam, but it's not right in the center. From memory, it's somewhere over by the nautical museum, but sure a map will help more.

They make high gravity beers. I think they were ales, but it's been ten years since I was there, so can't recall exactly.

And this place is a pub that sells ONLY Dutch beers (and some amazing ones at that), and they have a massive selection:

http://www.arendsnest.nl/

I don't know if they sell bottles, but it might be worth calling them to check.

The Dutch breweries worth looking out for are De Molen, De Schans, Het Ij, De Prael, Emelisse, SNAB and Jopen. You'll find their beers at either Bierkoning or Cracked Kettle (as mentioned above).

Arends Nest doesn't have a licence to sell beer to take away.

I forgot to mention:

Brouwerij De Prael
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 30,
1012 GD Amsterdam.
Tel: 020 - 408 44 70
Fax: 020 - 408 44 58
Email: [email protected]
Homepage: http://www.deprael.nl/

A brewery that also has a beer shop with beer from other Dutch micros as well as their own.

While Amstel is a major brand in the Netherlands, I would recommend that you pick up the Amstel Dark. I've only managed to get it once, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bought a bottle of Westvleteren 12 there myself last week. It cost 12 euros. Or just about exactly the same as 4 Schlenkerla Marzen and 2 Schlenkerla Urbock.

Not sure which beer you mean by Amstel Dark. The only Amstel dark beers I can think of are Bok (only sold in Autumn) and Oud Bruin, a sweet, low-alcohol lager.

If Amstel's other offerings are anything like the State-side Amstel Light, I would pass. AL was the first beer that I didn't like, and is still very lonely on that list. I'd take a PBR over one any day of the week.

Back