Acidulated Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourdudeness

Reaction score
I have some left overs I would like to get rid of. These are 5kgs of Pale Malt, 5kgs of Wheat Malt, 5kgs of Weyermann´s Munich and 3lbs. of Weyermann´s acidulated malt, as well as some 10 oz or so of Saaz. I was thinking of doing 10 gallons of some kind of Weissen using all the Pale and Wheat Malt, and maybe 2 or 3 lbs of Munich. I would like to use the acidulated malt but I haven´t used it before. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Going over 3% or so of grist with the acid malt will probably add a noticeable flavor. That said, I've been toying with the idea of a wheat or summer ale with 5+% of acid malt to see if I could get a refreshing sour edge. Not sure how high you would want to go with the aciduated malt, but I'm interested to hear how much others have used.

From Randy Mosher's book Radical Brewing:

Hold Your Nose Gose (5 gal.)
1.5 lb Pilsener malt (you could sub yout pale malt)
1.0 lb acidulated malt
3.5 lb wheat malt
0.5 lb unmalted oats (oatmeal)
1 lb rice hulls (I've brewed this recipe w/o rice hulls and w/o problems)

1.0 oz spalt added to mash - saaz would work here
step mash - 113F , then 153F, mashout @ 170F

0.5 oz spalt 45 min. - you could sub your saaz

At end of boil (only 45 min.), add 1/4 tsp salt plus one ounce coriander. You could add more salt at bottling to taste.

I know it's an odd recipe, but the sour and salt combine to make a super thirst-quenching beer. Almost, but not entirely, unlike an Berliner Weiss.;)

Use half pale half wheat to make a 1.035ish beer. Let the mash sit overnight. The next morning, throw most of the acid malt in there and let it sit another 24 hours until it looks and smells vile. Then boil, using a minimal amount of hops.
Add the rest of the acid malt to the fermenter and get a lactic acid fermentation going before adding a clean ale yeast. Should get you close to a nice Berliner Weisse that way.

Back