Solvent for Printed bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casebrew

Reaction score
Does anything wash the printing off of bottles? It's the kind that looks like powder coating- heavy, 'plastic' stuff...Arrogant Bastard? Cool flip top growler, but I don't want folks to think I bought what's in it.

That is actually glass not paint on those style of bottles. Basically, they paste the colored sand to the bottle in the print that's desired, then fire it in a kiln to turn it to glass.

No way to take glass off of glass.

Walker-san said:
I have a hammer that says you're wrong. :)

ha... yeah thats one way...

maybe some paint thinner or fingernail polish remover.. worth a try, even though its not real paint...

If anything is gonna eat it, MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is. However, if it's glass on glass printing, that's not gonna work either. You'd need to etch it away with a sandblaster, then polish the results. Too much work. Arrogant Bastard has a cool label - I say leave it there.

ive been drinking a lot of Stone beers, but it makes me sad to recycle a bottle at a Recycling center. id rather recycle it by filling it with homebrew, but i dont like having someone else's name on my bottle.

Wheat King said:
ive been drinking a lot of Stone beers, but it makes me sad to recycle a bottle at a Recycling center. id rather recycle it by filling it with homebrew, but i dont like having someone else's name on my bottle.

My sentiments exactly. I'll try some solvent, then use it approptiatly.

Wheat King said:
Too me the Stone bottles are just so dang good looking that I'll use them for my beer without a problem. :D

I don't have a problem w/ some small etched brand name on my bottles. Usually even those sort have a paper wrapper that comes off and if someone mistakes my beer for the original brewery's... well either they're that stupid or I'm that good. ;)

This is a problem that beer labels and sand paper or sandblasters were made for.

sand off the old lettering and cover it with a label of your own.....or just cover the old writing with your label.

Back