help with Love TS programming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GamePreserve

Reaction score
I'm looking for some coherent write ups on what/how to use the different settings mean for the Love TS single stage contoller
( http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9352000 )
I've come across some posts before, but didn't bookmark them.
Can anyone else run me through the steps to set the parameters from scratch? just got it in the mail and I'm trying to brew this weekend. I don't want to spend a week troubleshooting the settings while my wert gets ruined. thanks!

Did it come with an instruction book?

It should be as simple as setting a temperature, setting it to cooling or heating, and setting an overshoot value. You may also have to choose the input device (thermocouple, thermistor).

While I am not familure with that controller, I have programmed LOVE PID controllers before. Using it as an on-off is pretty easy to set up. Maybe take ya an hour. Good Luck! :)

Coincidentally I programmed mine for the first time last night. I can't give full instructions but here's what I found:

When you first give it power it's showing you the current temp. Mine was 69F.
  • Hit the Set button
  • You will see the code "SP" (I think)
  • Hit the Set button again (Mine showed a 3, confusing, but that is 3F)
  • Change the designed number using the up/down arrows. (I set mine to 63F)
  • Hit the Set button again (goes back to "SP" - this may not be necessary)
  • It's done, it will reset in a minute out of programming mode or you can click Set and Down at the same time.

Mine seems to be working fine other than possible reversed polarity. The instructions can make it seem very complicated when in reality the initial setup is quite simple, almost too simple.

EDIT:
Link to PDF instructions.
Link to HBT instructions on wiring

Thanks. I just got word it was delivered, so i haven't opened the box yet. I've been trying to learn about this unit for the past couple weeks, because it seems like it can be tricky.
I'll give it a whirl tonight and update what happens.

I've heard people (and the manufacturer) say that it has "a good ammount of programmable functions..." Do you play with any extras, or just stick to the Setpoint, and differential settings?

Like everything it seemed overwhelming at first so I kept strictly to programming the Set Point. I only followed the steps I outlined above and that's it.

While my fermentation chamber is "ready to go" I need to drill a hole for the temp probe and pick up a computer fan to help circulate the air, can't wait to use it after I (hopefully) brew a Kolsh this weekend. :mug:

I believe the 3F is the differential (overshoot set-point). If your set-point is 65 and you have the differential set at 3F, the chiller won't turn on until it reads a temperature greater than 68. So depending on how accurate you want to be, and how much you want to cycle your heater/cooler you can increase that number or decrease it.

Not that I can tell. Looking at several wiring diagrams none mention the color swap.

Depends if it's a thermocouple or thermistor. If its a thermistor I doesnt matter. They work by outputing a resistance. If it's a thermocouple it does matter. They work by outputting a voltage. Sounds like it's a thermocouple, is it a K, J, or another kind? Normally if you stick it in backwards you'll either get gobbily goop, or a negative reading, i.e. -65F.

From Cole-Parmer:

-1.5" (4 cm) thermistor (100Ω at 25°C) with 5 ft (1.5 m) cable (included)
-The thermistor is a PTC type.

So am i good? or do i need to double check my red/blue wiring to 1 and 2 on the control?

I have 3 of these, one for each fermentation fridge and one for my HERMS. This is how I have them programmed:

Programming:

1) Hold the SET button down for 8 seconds, until the display says, "0".
2) Release and press the SET button again. The display will say, "SP".
3) Press the SET button again to set the SP, eg: "63".
4) Press the SET button again and the display will say, "SP".
5) Press the Up Arrow and the display will say, "r0".
6) Press the SET button and set the r0, eg: "1".

The rest of the parameters are set by following the same pattern. Here is what I use:

SP = whatever I want to ferment at (or mash at)
r0 = 1 (this means it will turn on within 1 degree of your set point)
r1 = -58 (minimum setting - doesn't matter as long as it is below your desired SP)
r2 = 302 (maximum setting - doesn't matter as long as it is above your desire SP)
d0 = Co (Heating or Cooling - Co for my fridges, Ht for my HERMS)
d2 = 0 (defrost cycle, not needed above freezing temperatures)
d8 = 0 (defrost interval, not needed above freezing temperatures)
c0 = 0 (minimum duration between heat/cool cycles)
c1 = 0 (maximum duration to keep heater/cooler on)
c2 = 0 (ON time for fault cycle, in case the probe is broken)
c3 = 0 (OFF time for fault cycle, in case the probe is broken)
P1 = 0 (Probe offset)
H5 = 0 (Access code)
H6 = PtC (Probe type, could be NtC depending which probe you get)
t0 = 302 (Doesn't matter as long as it is above any temperature you're likely to see)

Im trying to use mine now and Im still pretty confused on how to work it... sorry!

I hit SP for 8 secs and it goes to 0 (then i changed it to 155) (example for 155 mash) then i hit set and took it back to the reading in the garage (35).

After that I hit set and scrolled up and down but it only goes from -50 to 150 ... so it sounds like i need to reset my max temp to 250 or something so I can pick any temp when i mash.

but how do I get it to set between heating / cooling and how do i set differential and min and max values.

Did i set the shut off temp right? This is the first time ive ever dealt with them and Im so lost right now.

They are wired to ascos (brutus style) but the ascos are NO, so the control is wired NC that way the solenoid is energized when i turn it on.

I want to be able to set a temperature and have it shut power off below that temp (opening the solenoid and allowing gas past) then when it gets up to my set point i want it to energize the solenoid (closing it) ..

any help would be GREAT!!! thanks,

Next time I'd suggesting figuring it out before you start drinking. EvilGnome6 posted all the codes you could set. It's very simple:

Press the SET button for (< 1 sec) you program the temperature only.

Press the SET button for 8 sec, full program mode.
While in full program mode a single SET button will cycle through all the settings. I'd double check all of yours just to be on the safe side.

Good luck :mug:

There is also a setting buried in the directions somewhere that prevents the controller from cycling too often. I think it is a minumum number of minutes between cylces, or something like that. Anyway, I set that one for a few minutes to give my chest freezer a break in case the temps swing up/down too quickly--turning a compressor on/off multiple times quickly is generally not good...

If you have to re-set it at some point, this is from an e-mail I received from Dwyer Tech support:
> > Thanks
> > Andrew Lies
> > Inside Sales Engineer
> > Dwyer Instruments

Back