Help w/ adding switch to march pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackTieBrewing

Reaction score
So I'm trying to wire a switch to my march pump using the cut extension cord method. I found some instructions here: http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/portapump.html. I followed the instructions but when I go to test it out I keep blowing the fuse. If anyone has pictures of how they wired their pump or could provide more detail on how to do the wiring it would be appreciated.

Not to be a jerk, but if you are having a hard time wiring this up and you are blowing fuses you should seriously consider finding a friend to come over and help you.

Most important, make sure your hands are super dry and not moist at all while you are doing your work. You sound like a prime candidate for a bit shock :cross:

Now then, all you have to do is wire the common lead (probably white) off the march to the switch, bypass the switch with the hot lead (probably black), and ground the switch with the ground (probably green). Then these wires lead into an outlet or a plug stub, wired to the same colors. If you are using an outlet, the white wire (common) goes to the silver studs, and the black wire (hot) goes to the gold studs. The ground should be grounded to the switch and the outlet or connected to the cord.

Also, if you will by using this on a non-gfci circuit make sure to put an inline gfci in the box.

I don't intend to sound off putting, but electricity can really be dangerous and it sounds like you are playing with fire.

Adding a switch is easier if you begin to understand electricity instead of simply following directions...

Think of the flow of electricity like plumbing... The cord has 3 wires.
The black is hot: consider that forward pressure from the reservoir.
White is neutral: consider that water heading back to the reservoir.
Green (or bare copper) is ground: consider this overflow which allows current to travel back and trigger the breaker if the hot and neutral short out...

The only thing a single pole switch does is cut the line on ONE of the wires (either black or white). Usually you put the switch on the hot (black) wire and that stops the current. That is what is being done in the instructions you are following...

Make sure you have a single pole switch (not a 2 or 3 way). Make sure your grounds are connected to the switch.

I'd suggest you read up on how to install a switch.

Thanks for the help guys, I've got my friend coming to help me out since he'll do a more professional job I just thought it sounded like something I'd be able to do but I'll let him handle it before I shock myself.

All you need do is cut the black wire put it on one pole of the switch and the other to the next pole (Screws) this will brake the current going to the pump making it a little safer. But you must use a GFI outlet anyway

For those electrically challenged folks who don't want to kill themselves a simple powerstrip with switch would work on this pretty well. Especially tracking down one with a GFI circuit would be even better.

Back