Does Length of primary fermentation affect flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinich

Reaction score
We made two batches of mead using identical recipes
Original gravity was 1.072 Final gravity was 1.002 ABV ~ 9.1%

Only difference in process was during the primary fermentation: the first was kept at 78 degrees the second at 68 degrees

The first fermented out in 10 days, the second in 44 days.

They tasted the same at racking.

We've been told, by an experienced mead maker, that a longer primary fermentation will bring out better flavor and make for a smoother mead.

The question is: If this is true , why?

Does the amount of time it takes for the yeast to convert the available sugars to alcohol affect the final outcome?

Thanks for your help

D

"Slow and steady" or "fast and furious" really doesn't matter. What often matters is fermenation temperature, though. While yeast love a hotter fermentation, sometimes the yeast will produce off-flavors at a high temperature. Most wine yeast can easily go up to 80 degrees without a problem, though. Length of fermentation often translates to temperature, and a cooler fermentation will give you less off-flavors and less stressed yeast (which can also cause some funky flavors).

Your attenuation seems awfully low, though. You're only at 9.2% ABV, and most wine yeast would take that to .990 (totally dry). Either you've got some issues with the yeast, or it's not done.

YooperBrew,

I was shooting for 9% ABV and purposely stopped the fermentation when I got close to 1.0.

I'm trying for a sweeter product w/o backsweetening

D

YooperBrew,

I was shooting for 9% ABV and purposely stopped the fermentation when I got close to 1.0.

I'm trying for a sweeter product w/o backsweetening

D

Ah. Well, keep checking the gravity because stopping an active fermentation can be like stopping a train. If it gets warmer, or if there is any yeast reproduction, it'll start back up.

How did you stop it?

Stopped by racking into fresh carboy, added potassium Sorbate

D

You don't want a fast fermentation. It will stess the yeast out, giving you off flavors and harsh alcohols, as well as, driving off more of the aromas.

Latest posts

Back