Growing Mushrooms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mushrooms are fun to grow but the sterility aspect can be trying. Molds like the same environment.

I totally agree with HenryHill... I dabbled in growing mushrooms back in the day and they are relatively easy as long as you embrace the pressure cooker and be as sterile as possible.

Of course this is assuming you are reculturing your own from a spore print... they probably come sterile and ready to go from this online retailer you linked.

I know NOTHING about growing mushrooms but thought it was somewhat difficult. That being said I just prairie burned a large area bordering/within the woods on my property and I wonder if that might be a decent location to try an outdoor patch. Any fungi experts on here?

I totally agree with HenryHill... I dabbled in growing mushrooms back in the day and they are relatively easy as long as you embrace the pressure cooker and be as sterile as possible.

Of course this is assuming you are reculturing your own from a spore print... they probably come sterile and ready to go from this online retailer you linked.

I'm familiar with sterile techniques on a practical level when I prep slants and plates for my yeast bank, so that doesn't intimidate me. It would be interesting to fruit a few edible mushroom species. Did a little research this afternoon and the process seems pretty straightforward.

Haven't ordered the growth kits just yet - but I'm leaning towards the Lion's Mane and Hen of the Woods varieties. :rockin:

I was out in my lawn the yesterday......found a bowl ful of Merrell's growin in the neighbors front lawn! She said I can pick em whenever I want. Ive never seen em there before but they had an elm tree cut down there last year. Hopefully it keeps producin!

Yea, so thats how i grow my shroomies :)

Curious - would it be possible to use malted rye for the substrate cakes?

No worry if it's not a good idea, I have easy access to rye berries. ;)

I used to use Brown Rice Flour and wild bird seed (soaked for 24hrs) all the time. I would say give rye a shot, just make sure you soak it for a while (before autoclaving/pressure cooking) if you are planning on using the berries whole.

Found a video for you, apparently Rye Berries are very popular:

'

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received three syringes of spores - Maitake, ****ake and Oyster. I'll probably mix up some cakes on Monday when I get back from my rugby tournament and start culturing. :)

lol - I know what you guys are up too

around here we just pick them out of the cow pastures after it rains any time it gets humid and there is cow manure to be found they pop up by the millons

shroom tea, peanut butter and shroom sadwhiches, shroom burgers

seems pointless to try and grow something that pops up everywhere a cows been

around here we just pick them out of the cow pastures after it rains any time it gets humid and there is cow manure to be found they pop up by the millons

Meh, I don't give two turds about psychedelics (as that is what you are hinting at). I just want to grow some culinary mushrooms.

I thought buying a kit was cheaper than buying a cow. ;)

Spent grains would be the perfect media for propagation of mushroom seed from your cultures. I have been to several of Paul Staments workshops at his home in washington and can attest to the fact that what you get from him will be very high quality. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Rye berries work really well for mushroom cultivation, the best thing to do is soak the grain for 24 hours prior to pressure cooking. This not only gets water into the grain, it also germinates the bacterial spores so they can be more easily killed.

Drain the grains then rinse until the water is clear, load em into jars and cook em. PF tek is sort of a newbie tek for quick cubes, I'd say go for the gusto.

lionsmanemushies.jpg

Lion's Mane, first flush ready for harvest.

Back