New Zealand pubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Styles

Reaction score
Ok, well searching NZ Pub didn't yield any results, so anyone here from NZ and got any recommendations?
Personally, I'm from Auckland, and my favourites (in no particular order) would be Galbraiths, Leigh Sawmill, and the Belgian Beer Cafe's (Occidental especially) and yes, Cock and Bull too, just because they're so many of them, they are good social pub and I love their Beef Yorkshire! And last, (most importantly) they have Epic! :)
I've heard good things about Hallertau, but haven't been there yet..... anyone else?

I guess anything NZ is out of everyone's scope here. (Mine too)

I'll just say that I never met a kiwi I didn't like, and hope that suffices. :)

I used to like cock and bull until they stopped serving full pints :D Galbraiths is a great pub, I was in there Easter weekend for the first time in ages, their ESB, porter and trappist ale are all very good. Speakers Corner up in browns bay is my favourite, because I'm English and its a great English pub with plenty of English beers to choose from, Patriot in Devonport has the best Boddingtons Ive ever tasted too. I've been wanting to try Hallertau soon as well so will hopefully give that a go in the next month or two.

Hi Splangy, yes, the Twisted Hop is great, no trip to Chch is complete without it!

Cheers Pommy, I'll check out Speakers Corner & Patriot sometime.

Have you been to Hallertau yet? I was there a while ago, it's pretty good. I only had their Stuntman, which is pretty extreme. I have had their Porter Noir too, which is an amazing beer. I need to got another bottle to cellar!

No, unfortunately I still havent managed to get out there. Reading on ratebeer or BA they didnt get very good reviews for their beers but you cant really take too much from the reviews on those sites. We ended up just going in Cock and Bull at Botany for a quick one. Its the first time Ive had their beers since I started brewing and I was quite pleasantly surprised. I had the Fuggles Bitter and the SWMBO had the Dark Star Porter or whatever its called, served too cold but it was a decent pint once it warmed up a bit again. Off to Speakers Corner all been well for mothers day this weekend but eventually Im sure I will make it to Hallertau.

There is a new brew pub in browns bay, I am yet to try it. But from the hoppy aroma that was floating around there it seems like it could be cracker!

Holy return of the zombie thread batman!

Yes, I've heard about Deep Creek, I haven't gotten up that way yet though. I'm trying to organise a bit of a thing with some of the boys from the office to do a Saturday pub crawl sometime. A place I did check out a couple of months ago is The Brewery Britomart, it's where the Rose and Crown used to be. http://www.thebrewerybritomart.co.nz/ I really liked it, had a yarn with the owner/brewer. They brew onsite and have some very interesting seasonals, along with their core range which was VERY good.

Back from the dead!

Deep Creek is OK from what Ive tried so far, their Dusty Gringo brown is certainly interesting, it's the consistency of soup. They love what they are doing though and the menu looks fantastic too. I will definitely get back out there to give it a try again sometime soon. Brewery Britomart is awesome. Always new interesting beers on tap. Their Monk's Hip Hop (Belgian IPA) took the people's choice award at the inaugural City of Ales festival a few weeks ago. Awesome beer! Their NZPA is my favourite and their IPA is pretty special too. This is making me thirsty.

Cock and Bull ws just bought up by Lion Nathan too if you guys hadn't heard and there's rumours that they will no longer be selling their own line of beers. I hope Monks Habit isn't lost to the ages.

Oh wow, I hadn't heard that! I'm sure that they'll be smart enough to keep it going as is...... Perhaps bottled C&B beer at your supermarket soon.....

I'm up on the shore this morning, so going to check out Deep Creek for lunch! I'm rather excited!

Yeah people were talking about it in Galbraiths yesterday, the beer is brewed under contract by Steam so I'm not sure what they will be doing. We were trying to look at how it could be a smart (anti-craft) business decision for them, which it presumably will be. Perhaps if they start brewing the beers at The Pride in East Tamaki they are hoping to take away a lot of Steam's business and put them in financial trouble? If that is the plan then hopefully a lot of small contract craft brews will be taken on cheap by Steam to keep production flowing and Lion's plan could backfire. It's certainly going to be interesting to see what their plan is and how it plays out. Enjoy your lunch and let us know how Deep Creek are doing, might give me the incentive I need to get over to the other side of the bridge.

The good George in hamilton is good but the beer is too cold and fizzy for my liking. Is there anywhere that does a decent hand pulled beer?

For a decent hand pulled beer up here your best bet would be Galbraiths or Vultures Lane in Auckland, Vultures have two and Galbraiths has about 8 of their own on handpull, Brothers Beer also recently installed one, not sure of options down Hamilton way if that's where you live? I wish we had one or two in every bar then I could do some casks, unfortunately that isn't going to happen for a while at least.

Back