Dry Dublin Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutFan

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Irish Ale 1084
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
29 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Tasty dark stout. Reminds me of the dark at the Billy Goat bar in Chicago.
Dry Irish Stout
Dry Stout

Ingredients

6 lbs Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 82.76 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 31.0 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.25 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.91 %
Bitterness: 33.6 IBU
Est Color: 29.0 SRM

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)
HPIM1778.jpg

The head is almost a coffee with cream color, and I think it needs some flaked barley for better head retention. The FG was high due to the mystery 1.020 problem. It has mellowed out in the bottle and does not feel heavy or sweet at all. The taste I would liken to a Murphys with a little hop bite. Not quite bitter, but over to that edge of balanced. Nice and dry, no alcohol taste to it at all. A little estery from the yeast, but not much. Has quite the odd aroma. It smells of malt and earthy hop tones. Not exactly what I was going for, but nice. The Williamette did not seem to me to be an earthy hop. I love this batch, absolutely delicious.

I think we could use a bit more detail in the tasting notes. We can't all get to Chicago to try that bar.

And by "we," I mean me, because I love stouts like my dog loves cat poop.
(which is a lot)

The FG was high due to the mystery 1.020 problem. It has mellowed out in the bottle and does not feel heavy or sweet at all. The taste I would liken to a Murphys with a little hop bite. Not quite bitter, but over to that edge of balanced. Nice and dry, no alcohol taste to it at all. A little estery from the yeast, but not much. Has quite the odd aroma. It smells of malt and earthy hop tones. Not exactly what I was going for, but nice. The Williamette did not seem to me to be an earthy hop. I love this batch, absolutely delicious. Sorry about the small description above, I had about 4 of them in me when I wrote the recipe. Pictures are coming soon, stupid camera problems.

Picking up the ingredients for this tomorrow. Hopefully will have a brew after this weekend. Sounds awesome.

Well thank you, I'd like to thank the academy, my parents.........
It feels awesome to know that someone else will enjoy my brew. Just Awesome.

I have a question. Plugging your hop schedule into two calculators I am getting over 100 IBU's for the 1oz of Nugget(13%) for 60mins. That is not including the Willamette.

Am I missing something?

The grains looks great BTW:mug:

I don't know, but using Tinseth, Rager, and Garetz, I got 50, 64, and 33 respectfully. I have used Garetz always for darker beer, and Tinseth for hoppy beers. That system just works for me. I don't know how you got 100 IBU's, but let me know, I am haveing ideals for an Imperial Dry Dublin Stout! :D

I don't know, but using Tinseth, Rager, and Garetz, I got 50, 64, and 33 respectfully. I have used Garetz always for darker beer, and Tinseth for hoppy beers. That system just works for me. I don't know how you got 100 IBU's, but let me know, I am haveing ideals for an Imperial Dry Dublin Stout! :D

LOL! Well It would be a great time to start bulk aging that puppy.

I figured out my mistake. In my tired sleeplessness last night, I had failed to change my batch volume from 2gals(my current brew capacity) to your volume. Hence, the >3X the IBU's.

Looks great and thanks for posting. I am thinking of something similar in the early summer so that it will be ready for winter:ban:

Just sealed this into the primary.

I added a quart of strong coffee at the end of the boil as an addition. Also, I boiled for 75m and waited 15m before dropping in the bittering hops (keeping them at a 60m boil).

This wort was pitch black after cooling and smelled great, very strong and malty. I drank a few porters while brewing this and could really pick out the flavors in what I was drinking.

My measured gravity was 1.062 before pitching.

Edit: I was working out why my gravity was so high, and realized I took the gravity reading before topping it off with water. The batch size at the reading was about 4 gallons. Estimated starting gravity looks like it's coming out to 1.050 so it's about dead on the recipe.

Sorry I didn't respond....I wasn't subscribed to this thread like I thought I was.

This turned out great! It has strong coffee and chocolate flavors but . It's very complex from smell to aftertaste but doesn't overpower the tastebuds like some stouts do. Mine probably needs another month before it really matures, but I opened one a week after bottling and it carbed out great with an awesome head.

3514366434_424f8c9e70.jpg

3514365782_baca5e5621.jpg

A week later, took some to a party and people who don't like darks LOVED this. A couple of people likened it to Fuller's London Porter, and even Boulevard's Bully Porter. I agree that it has a very Murphy's taste and dryness to it, but the weight of mine doesn't quite match up, IMO.

I will probably keep this lined up for a mid-September brew and alter the steeping grains a little for some more body (haven't put much thought into it), but this is a great recipe.

Edit: Not sure why the pics don't show up for me. They show up on the preview post.

Well that is just awesome! I am glad you and your friends like it. It took some tweaking to get it where I like it, and I'm sure you'll have to tweak it to your perfect taste. When you get done tweaking(jesus, how many times am I going to say that) it, send over your changes and I'll have to brew yours next! :D

Hi there, excuse my ignorance but we are going to try your brew and wondered is dark extract dark choc extract or daark malt extract or just dark extract???!
many thanks!!!

Just dark liquid malt extract. Munton's or Breiss work equally. You could substitute powdered extract(DME) if you prefer. It would be 4.75 pounds for the same OG.

Hi, we have tried your brew and it smells great!!! In hindsight, can I ask is it US Gallons (3.79 liters) or UK Gallons ( 4.54 litres) that the recipe is for?! I went with the US...

For some reason when I plug everything into BeerTools I get an bitterness of 52.4, rather than 33.6, does anyone see what I did wrong?

[size=+2]Dry Dublin Stout[/size]

Size: 5.0 gal

Original Gravity: 1.046 (1.036 - 1.050)
|===================#============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.007 - 1.011)
|==========================#=====|
Color: 27.29 (25.0 - 40.0)
|==========#=====================|
Alcohol: 4.53% (4.0% - 5.0%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 52.4 (30.0 - 45.0)
|===============================#|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
6. lb CBW® Traditional Dark Liquid (Malt Extract)
0.5 lb American Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb American Caramel 80°L
0.25 lb American Caramel 10°L
0.25 lb Roasted Barley
1.0 oz Nugget (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

I think your AA% is a little higher on the Nugget. Mine I believe was 11%, but don't quote me.

StoutFan,

Seems like you have a popular recipe here. I am going to try brewing this when I get a chance after I get back from vacation. I was wondering what your fermentation conditions were. What temp. did you ferment primary at ? And how many times did you rack? Etc.

Thanks, Looking forward to this one!

Ben

Replying to your message, sorry, been out for, a long while. Simple 1-2-3 method on this one. 1 week @ 68° primary, 2 weeks @ 68° secondary, 3 weeks @ 55° bottle cellar. Enjoy

Latest posts

Back