Bottle today, pitch on cake tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
I am thinking of bottling today and brewing tomorrow, my question is, will it hurt anything to leave the yeast cake and a small amount of beer in the fermentor, then brewing tomorrow and pitching on said yeast cake? Anyone ever do this, and if so any negative effects? Thanks.

Never done it myself, but a local from my brew club says he always does it and turns racking day into brewing day. He throws his wort right over the cake.

Just did it on Saturday. I collected some yeast to be used in future batches, then just pitched directly on the remaining cake.

Be ready for explosively quick fermentation! Mine took off in less than an hour! Suggestion....have the blow off tube ready....

Definitely recommended as a time saver and starter saver.

Never done it myself, but a local from my brew club says he always does it and turns racking day into brewing day. He throws his wort right over the cake.
I understand this, my question is, what harm if any will occur to the yeast by sitting for 18 hours with very little beer sitting on top, while Im waiting to brew tomorow morning? Thanks.

I second leaving a little beer on the trub. Waiting a day or two is no problem. I have done it few times and always had great results. The yeasties are hungry and ready to go to work in a big way. If you choose not to use a blowoff, be ready to have your airlock puke on your floor!

+1 on using the pitching calculator.

I have saved a yeast cake numerous times under a thin layer of beer for several days refrigerated without any problem.

Also what was the SG of your previous beer? Anything significantly over ~1.045 or really hoppy will not leave you with a healthy yeast for your next beer.

GT

On a similar topic, if using dry yeast (say Danstar) is it worth to pitch on the cake? Seeing as though it is cheap enough, would it make more sense not to pitch on the cake?

I've gone a week with the carboy in a cool (50-60f) room and a little beer on the cake with no problem.

I usually use JZ's pitching calculator as well. I don't wash it first though. I measure out the recommended amount and add 25-35% to account for the trub that washing would get rid of.

Leaving a bit of beer on it it a good idea, put your airlock back in it or cover it with some foil until you're ready to use it.

Would it help to pour some pre-boiled or distilled water on top, swirl, cool, decant and then pitch the next day?

Not sure how easy it is to decant out of a carboy given it's size and shape but it was a thought. I guess you could always autosiphon.

I'm intrigued by this. I'm new to home brewing. In fact, my first batch is going to be ready to bottle on Sunday and I'm planning to brew another batch sunday as well. This idea brings a couple of questions to mind.

1. Isn't there a concern about sanitizing the fermentor between batches? If you pour the wort of the new batch onto the cake from the previous batch, there has been no sanitization between batches. I would think you have a higher chance of contamination of the second batch.

2. My first batch was an American Amber Ale using a WYeast smack pack (can't remember which type but it was the one the LHB store recomended for amber ale.) My question is, will this type of yeast be ok for a pale ale as well or will it only be suited for darker ale's?

Thanks. This site has been very helpful and I appreciate any help.

I'm intrigued by this. I'm new to home brewing. In fact, my first batch is going to be ready to bottle on Sunday and I'm planning to brew another batch sunday as well. This idea brings a couple of questions to mind.

1. Isn't there a concern about sanitizing the fermentor between batches? If you pour the wort of the new batch onto the cake from the previous batch, there has been no sanitization between batches. I would think you have a higher chance of contamination of the second batch.

2. My first batch was an American Amber Ale using a WYeast smack pack (can't remember which type but it was the one the LHB store recomended for amber ale.) My question is, will this type of yeast be ok for a pale ale as well or will it only be suited for darker ale's?

Thanks. This site has been very helpful and I appreciate any help.

Every time you repitch the risk for contamination or growth of unwanted yeast or bacteria increases. Good sanitation is paramount if you are going to do this multiple times.

That yeast should work fine for your pale ale.

GT

Thanks for the resonses people, I bottled on Mon., fired up the rig on tues. morning, pitched Biermunchers SNPA on the cake of Biermunchers Centennial Blonde, and within 1 hour she was blowing like Moby Dick, I think all will be fine. :rockin:

We generally transfer to a secondary one week after brewing and use that cake. I don't think the cake from a bottling day which might be 3 weeks old would be as good.

Back