Earthquake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.7, epicenter is less than 10 miles from my house!

A long one too, didn't stop shaking for a while.

Everything is okay, one fluted glass broke in the garage.

Okay, everyone in my family is safe and no damage (except for the one $0.79 champagne flute!) That was a good size quake. That is the closest I've ever been to the epicenter of a decent quake. Any bigger and I would have had to clean up a ton of glass in the garage.

Time to have another beer. ;)

I couple of people I know felt it in east county San Diego. I didn't feel anything here in North Park.

It's just something you live with here and almost have a sense of humor about. Any smaller and I would not have thought twice about it, but being a 5.0 and less than 10 miles from the epicenter was a little exciting. It's been a few years since we've had a good quake in Southern California and we're due. I was just talking to my wife this last week that it was "earthquake weather."

Luckily, with the building codes the way they are now, most homes are built to withstand very large quakes. I wouldn't anticipate any real structure damage out of this one.

. . . very unsettling I would imagine.

really not so much. . . I dunno, I guess growing up in California you get kind of used to them. I think they're pretty cool when you feel them. I mean I've never been in a HUGE one where there was lots of damage or anything. but a 5.0 isn't bad or scary at all.

really not so much. . . I dunno, I guess growing up in California you get kind of used to them. I think they're pretty cool when you feel them. I mean I've never been in a HUGE one where there was lots of damage or anything. but a 5.0 isn't bad or scary at all.
Yeah, most of the time they are small and you could easily confuse them with a big truck going down the street. That's not to say I would want to be in a 3rd world country when a 6+ hits, but other than "the big one", they are not much to worry about.

That's not to say I would want to be in a 3rd world country when a 6+ hits, but other than "the big one", they are not much to worry about.

all my navy friends from the midwest or east coast always worry about them when they get here and inevitably freak out about a little 5.0 when it hits. but with building codes as they are that's really nothing.

but I do agree, I'd hate to be in India when an earthquake hit or the 6.9 in San Francisco back in '89.

I was close to the epicenter of the 1987 Whittier quake (5.9). Sitting at a stoplight in my old Volvo, I thought the engine idle was off again ... until I noticed the utility poles swaying. Biggest one I've been through.

There are times when I think that living in the Midwest makes a lot of sense. I suspect being in a good size earthquake would be one of them. Glad everybody is okay.

I hope everyone there is ok. Here in North Texas we had an earthquake this weekend, a 3.3, but for us anything is odd. It was very strange.

Yeah I'm a bit north of you and felt it pretty good. When I plugged those coords into google maps it shows the epicenter as being right on one of the runways at LAX. How'd you like to be landing a plane and see the ground move sideways?

I always wonder that. What if I was driving, or what if I was at the airport or on a boat?

I always wonder that. What if I was driving, or what if I was at the airport or on a boat?

Well, then your story content would be a LOT more richter.

Glad you are okay. And for kris-sakes strap them glasses down! Anymore like that and you'll have no glass to drink a beer from while riding the aftershocks.

Back