What kind of tie knot do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of knot do you use on your necktie?

• Windsor

• Half-Windsor

• Small Knot

• Four-in-a-hand

• Prince Albert

• Bow Tie

• CLIP ON!

• No tie! I'm no slave to the man.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Windsor. Any other knot makes you look like an inept teen out for the friday night cotillion and cow-tipping for after.

Yeah... full Windsor all the way. Learned it in the Marine Corps. Possibly coincidence, but the handful of people who I've seen wear a full Windsor and asked how they learned it, they learned it in the military or from their dad who was in the military. I mostly see people in half-Windsors.

Full/Double Windsor FTW. Learned in in the Navy - and I was so proud of myself as my mother used to tie my ties for me when I was little.

Yeah, it was one of those small accomplishments that make me smile.
-Me

Although it only happens a few times a year, I generally tie a full windsor. However, I will use the half on occasion if it is a wide tie or if I'm not fixing the top button of my shirt.

Half Windsor., because I have to!

Should depend on the collar style, or your face shape, really

Have a bootload of ties, wear one when going out with SWMBO at times, or for funerals :)-()
Most come from yardsales and thrift shops (50 cents, and not junk either!), and many are too long for my short neck/torso... which means I have to spend some time getting my lengths correct so as not to look like a dork when done.

When some sweet thing gently plays with your tie... er, nevermind

Nobody brewing with a Colonel Sanders Bowtie?
150px-Harland_Sanders.jpg

Drifting away from the original subject, I do think that the men formal dress code is so limiting, the only item we are given to play with is a colorful tie up to your neck (unless you get into really smart suits and superior fabrics). All skin is enclosed except for hands and head. WTF?

Women have so much more room for comfortable and playful attire.

I vote for tie-dye togas! Or the time-tested Gandhi look.

Wearing kilts could be a start, leading to the sarong (very comfy for tropics living).

Drifting away from the original subject, I do think that the men formal dress code is so limiting, the only item we are given to play with is a colorful tie up to your neck (unless you get into really smart suits and superior fabrics). All skin is enclosed except for hands and head. WTF?

Women have so much more room for comfortable and playful attire.

I vote for tie-dye togas! Or the time-tested Gandhi look.

Wearing kilts could be a start, leading to the sarong (very comfy for tropics living).
If I had the option i would be wearing lederhosen every day of the week. Most comfortable thing I've ever put on (excluding that skin suit I made from my neighbor....but that was custom sown.....PUT THE F_IN LOTION IN THE BASKET!!!!!)

Full/Double Windsor

All the other styles look, to me, like a teenager twisting something together and calling it good.

Mostly four-in-a-hand for me. I'm really skinny (145 lbs, 5'11") and wear a lot of skinny ties. I think that looks the best with my build. If I wear a regular tie I use a windsor. Truth be told, if i wear a regular tie it looks silly no matter what. I'm too skinny to wear regualr ties.

I have yet to imagine a scenario where a tie is needed. That said, on the rare occasion when my wife makes me do it, I use the little "how to tie a tie" pictures that I got off a shirt wrapper.
Ties SUCK!!!

Half Windsor., because I have to!

Should depend on the collar style...

This is true. They style of knot depends on the type of collar you are wearing and the material of the tie. Certain materials create too big of a knot and/or dont bind and hold the knot tight enough.

I usually tie a full windsor, but some thick material ties i will use a 4-in-the-hand or half windsor.

I voted no tie as I avoid them as much as possible.
However looking at the site listed I realize when I do wear a tie it is a 4-in-hand. Probably looks silly but i could care less. I only wear a tie to be "appropriate". I own 2 ties and a 15 year old suit. I hunt them out of the back of the closet for interviews and weddings or funerals for close family.

Craig

I have to disagree.... while the full and half Windsors are fine knots. I never use them favoring instead a Parisian knot. I think it looks more crisp and less bulky. Also, the triangle is wider and fits the style of shirts I wear better.

Which ever style my step dad used when he tied my 3 ties about 5-6 years ago. I throw it over my noggin and tighten. I would say i wear a tie less than once a year.

Latest posts

Back