Explain That Name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few from my past:

Jeffrey Old Bean Stout - Because when calling my bestist buddy, he would would always say"Jeffrey Old Bean, how are you?" and he really loved my sweet Irish Stout. I can no longer find any of the labels I made up back then, but that one had a rediculas 17th century looking English dude with an earwaxed moustache and a monicle on it.

Melanie's Breakfast Beer - Because the aforementioned bestist buddy's 12 year old daughter (who was wise beyond her years) suggested that I should make a breakfast beer. So I did - can't even remeber what kind of beer it was, but the label was pretty cool.

Butch Bear: A full bodied brew for big broads like you! - This beer was made early in the morning (I worked nights, so 6:30am was drinking and brewing time) and I had called the local radio station to request a song (Tommy and Rumble were the DJ's - for you VA folks). When asked what I was up to I told them I was bottling beer (at 645am). So they put me on the radio, and during the conversation one of the DJ's suggested that name for my beer. I was inspired and found some cartoon clip art of two very large females with short haircuts to make the labels - I sent them a 6 pack of it, but for all I know, they never tried it or maybe even recieved it. Again, can't even remember what kind of beer it was (can you tell it has been a long time since I brewed? - sheesh, I cant wait to get back stateside!!)

I have been trying to figure out what I would call this one, but I figure since I broke my pinkey toe preparing to brew the beer (i finished brewing in pain) I would call it "Pinkey Toe Pumkin Ale"

I just started (last week) trying to formulate recipes. I wanted to brew a Pale Ale and ended up with a Higher SG that I expectd 1.050 So I called it "Big Boy Pale Ale"

And while we are at it. a side note on my Handle "Fiddup is a Middup" as some of you might be curious.
when i was younger my younger brother had a bit of a problem, well speaking. He would try to say my name "Phillip" but it came out Fiddup. on day he was upset with me (why I have no idea, I was a great older brother) but in his anger he said "FIDDUP IS MIDDUP" So after that my older brothers would taunt me with the phase (over and over and over again) But now as we are all older its all good laughs

I made an extra-strong winter spiced ale (11.2%) and called it Rentier Frostschutz. Which translates to Reindeer Antifreeze.

Wild

I got a couple pm's about my Wagner Weizen recipe from a guy who's last name is Wagner and he wanted to know where the name came from so I thought I'd share it with everyone else.

I'm a musician, and one one of the instruments I play regularly is the tuba, so a few of my brews have tuba related names:

BBb Bitter
Pedal Tone Porter
Old Helicon Barleywine
Cimbasso IPA

The Wagner Weizen continues with this tradition. Since hefeweizen is a German style and the correct pronunciation is with a "V" it just made sense to use the name of the classical composer Richard Wagner (Re-card Vag-ner). Wagner is most famous for his german operas, most notably the Ring cycle, a series of four operas continuing an epic story about a magic ring and good vs. evil, not unlike the Tolken Lord of the Rings series. You have definately heard Wager before, you just didn't know it. Ride of the Valkyries (Duh de de duh duh!, Duh de de duh duh!, Duh de de duh duh!, Duh de de duh duh!) and the Wedding March (Here comes the Bride) are some of the most well known. To make the tuba connection even further, Wagner developed and used some different horns in his orchestration that came to be known as "Wagner Tubas", even though they aren't really tubas at all.
wagner tuba.JPG
Wagner Tuba

And just in case you are completely confused on the Cimbasso IPA, here's a pic of it as well. It has the guts of a tuba and the bore of a trombone. The range is of the tuba, but tone is more biting like the trombone. They are often used in hollywood movie scores to give more edge to the low brass.
cimbasso.JPG
Cimbasso

I call my brewery World Domination Beer, and all my names come from the theme of world domination.

Ascension Ale - This was my first beer, and it was so named because it was the beginning, the ascent to power.

Black Helicopter Porter - Named after the so-called black helicopters that conspiracy theorists are always worried about being used by the U.N. or New World Order to help take over the world.

Donner & Blitzkrieg - I changed Blitzen to Blitzkrieg, which was the name of the big Nazi tank strategy in WWII. It means "lightning attack." I put a tank and a reindeer on the label.

Big Brother Brown - I took that from the dystopian novel, 1984. It's the name of the supposedly benevolent leader of the totalitarian state.

Nuclear Winter Stout, Blonde Bombshell, Razz Buried, Martial Lager, Shock & Oktoberfest, etc. - Most of the rest just add something explosive, violent, or totalitarian to the name. It's all very tongue in cheek, of course.

orfy said:
My penultimate brew was "Son of a Bastard Blonde".

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=penultimate said:
  • S: (adj) penultimate, next-to-last (next to the last) "the author inadvertently reveals the murderer in the penultimate chapter"; "the figures in the next-to-last column.
SO it's your second to last brew?
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Let's see:

#7002-Czech Budvar...sometimes only the REAL Bud will do...
#7001-Mexican Lager...with serrano peppers...not as hot as I wanted.
#6032-Light Ale Experiment...because that's what it is...Safale-56.
#6031-Apple Melomel-because that's what it is.
#6030-Amber Waves Ale...made with amber malt.

#6027-Helles-made with only XL DME
#6029-Amber-Waves-Of-Grain Ale...some wheat, but mostly amber malt.

#6028-Bitter American AmBASSador...Bass clone w/British & American yeast.
#6026-AmerAle...American Ale made with Safale-56.
#6025-HW..#6023/#6022-HW...Hefe Weizens...what can I say?
#6021-Propensity Lager...from Uncle Charlie's book...I don't recommend the use of honey. It's still sweet.
#6020-Mango Melomel...hmmm.
#6019/#6018/#6017-HW...more hefe's to get me throught summer.
#6016-Kali4nia Traumer...Cali yeast. Had to give it a try. Not impressed.
#6015-Pumpkin Ale...for the holidays.
#6010-Trappist Dubbel...also for the holidays.
#6004-Barkshack Ginger Mead...for much later...
#6002-1 Mead/3 flavors...split batch of assorted flavoring put into the secondary.
#5018-Peach Melomel...

No secrets that I can see.:D

I called my first batch (which was an American Pale Ale) Gunpowder Treason Ale because I bottled it on Nov. 5th (Gunpowder Plot Day, or Guy F a w k e s Day, in the U.K.). Sorry about the extra spaces, but the forum converted it to ****es when I spelled it all together. Go figure.

While I haven't brewed much yet, most of my beers will probably be named after various aspects of the logging industry. I currently am fermenting Redwood Weizen (A reddish wheat beer). And have a few other names in mind for various styles all related to the logging industry.

My end of summer blonde ale...

sweetblondealeyt4.jpg

And...

My brown ale, tasty and bold....

badhabitbrownlabelni5.jpg

And for Christmas...

xmaslabel2006hv7.jpg

I use a pin up theme as you can tell.....

I have lots of others but these are the ones I can hot link to.

Cheers,

knewshound

Brewsmith said:
How creative, Bill. :p
I know, I spent all of 14 seconds to name my brews.

If I were making labels I would be more creative.

I had a bunch of leftover supplies one time and used a blah-blah non-descript yeast. I found a picture of some retiring Army general for the label and named it Gen. Erik...which reads "generic".

I made a Jalepeno brew once and called it DeGuello (No Quarter). it was hot as hell. I never could finish even 1 - 12 oz bottle.

I was a Liberal Arts student in college so I have an art (painting and drawing), photog, and music background. So, I do have some creativity in me.:D

I don't name them any more, I guess I'm just too lazy. But last summer I was naming them, and one of my favorite names was "Spank Me Red". We were drinking homebrew in the yard, sitting around a fire and someone said I was a good brewmeister and what else was I making? I said a red ale was in secondary. Well, someone else chimed in that I was a woman, so had to be a brewmistress. Well, the conversation deteriorated rapidly and "Spank Me" by the Brewmistress was born. We had Cool Cat Caramel Cream Ale (with a picture of my cat), Tundra Ted (named for a family member), Sturgeon River Ale (brown ale), etc. Now we drink "E" for ESB, "P" for pale ale, etc. Still tastes good, though!

Lorena

lorenae said:
But last summer I was naming them, and one of my favorite names was "Spank Me Red". We were drinking homebrew in the yard, sitting around a fire and someone said I was a good brewmeister and what else was I making? I said a red ale was in secondary. Well, someone else chimed in that I was a woman, so had to be a brewmistress. Well, the conversation deteriorated rapidly and "Spank Me" by the Brewmistress was born. Lorena

That's not exactly how I remember you describing that before...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10805

You had the name - *I* suggested making it a red ale! Gimme my props, dammit! ;)

My signature pale ale is Airedale Tail Pale Ale, because I grew up with an Airedale in the house. My dad had an Airedale continuously starting in 1968.

My stout that I brewed on Fat Tuesday had a picture of the 20 fattest guys on earth on the label, so it became Fat Tuesday Stout.

In honor of my 81 year old Dad who still farms, my wheat became Bud Karr's West Bangor Wheat Beer.

To explain the name i've come up with i have to explain the company name...Making a long story short, something died in the wall in the room we have the beer fermenting in (because the temperature is perfect) and it smelled pretty bad, so it started an inside joke about smelling like Dead Yeti...
As for the Bumble's Porter, Bumble was the Yeti/Abominable Snowman in the Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. He's our mascot... and the Nut Brown Ale well, I wanted to name it either, Dead Yeti's Brown Nut Ale or Yeti's Dead Nut Brown Ale... it wasn't as catchy to everyone else...

the_bird said:
That's not exactly how I remember you describing that before...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10805

You had the name - *I* suggested making it a red ale! Gimme my props, dammit! ;)

You're right- I had forgotten about that! the_bird is 50% responsible for the name of the red ale. The brewmistress avatar, however, is my own....(IIRC)

Lorena

Hartline homebrew because of, well, the last name:

My initial philosophy will be to name brews after our pets, or places we've been:

-Round Pond (one of the parks outside London in Kensington has a pond they call Round Pond, complete with resident swans) Swan Pale Ale
- Pancho (after our black cat)'s Pride Porter
- Cooper (another pet) Duper's Irish Red
- Look for a Bilbo and Max (other pet names) in some fashion
- Also something soon to do with Peru and Mexico

Latest posts

Back