WLP 830 dry substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First ever post......have WLP 830 german lager in starter but not starting....been there two days on stir plate. Brewing tomorrow and looking for dry yeast alternative.....thought about dry to begin with....used it in a bock and turned out great....any suggestions on dry yeast for an Octoberfest?

Oh yeah....long time listener, first time caller!!:ban:

Are you sure it hasn't done its thing? Are you using a stir plate? I just did a starter with this yeast and there was a slight color change, no krausen but when I let it settle out there was an increase in yeast.

Saflager 34/70 may be an option.

will test in the morning....just by smell it still has the sweet smell of wort. no sulfery smell with other starters....and never had a starter not krau
Code:
sen...I hope to test and see reduced gravity but if not will definitely follow your advice on 34

Thanks for the input...

i didn't get any sulfur from that yeast either. I've only used it the one time though. It is however doing its this in the fermenter now.

Thanks! Will give it a hard look tomorrow....really would like to use it. Been doing starters for some time and have never seen a starter like this.....but first time with this strain.

Salfager 34/70 is the same as Wy2124 and WLP830. So pick up a couple packs just in case your beer doesn't take off. It's great yeast, very versatile.

Salfager 34/70 is the same as Wy2124 and WLP830. So pick up a couple packs just in case your beer doesn't take off. It's great yeast, very versatile.

Yep. SafLager W-34/70 is my go-to lager yeast, and happens to be the same strain as WLP830. I've tried S-23 and the Mangrove Jack's M84, but neither hold a candle to W-34/70.

Latest posts

Back