Price per beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
So how much would you estimate it costs you per 12oz of homebrew? Also, list factors that affect your price vs others. AG vs extract, organic grains, etc.

Ketchepillar said:
So how much would you estimate it costs you per 12oz of homebrew? Also, list factors that affect your price vs others. AG vs extract, organic grains, etc.

Is this total cost.

Ingredients, C02, Propane, cleaners, sanitisers (All consumables)

Or just ingredients?

13 to 14.7 cents per 12 oz. serving for me. Core ingredients only. Not propane, cleaners or sanitizers. Just malt, hops, & yeast.

I bought grain & hops in bulk. Liquid yeasts I propagate, dry yeasts I just a new packet. If I squeezed 10 batches out of a single packet of Nottingham like BierMuncher, I could get my cost under 12 cents a glass. :D

35 cents for low gravity ales....., 50-60 cents for a big ass IPA....or a big 9%+Imperial Stouts....

For all one-use items (grains, DME, hops, yeast) my beers are usually about $0.40 per bottle. Sometimes closer to $0.48 if I make something with a ton of adjuncts. Either way you cut it, it's still cheaper than an 18 pack of Miller High Life even when it's on sale! :ban:

Since you pay about $9.50 for a six pack of craft beer in my area, costs for my homebrew looks pretty good by comparison. And I have to say only about 33% to 40% of those have been comparable to the stuff that I've made. Once you go home(brew) you don't go back. The only time I buy other beers is if it's a new style or something I want to try and emulate.

Maybe some day I'll make 7 or 10 gallon batches and my costs will go down accordingly. :D

One example for a 5 to 5.5 gallon batch (about 55-60 bottles):

$10 for 3 lb. bag of dark DME

$ 3 for 1 lb. bag of light DME

$2 for 1 lb. of specialty grains

$6 for hops (about $1.50 for each 1 oz. bag...I usually use 4 oz.)

$4.50 for yeast

I'm going to guess that the low numbers I'm reading are from all grain brewing?

Everything (hardware, storage, kegger, makings, etc) added up & spread over seven years of homebrewing? Around $2/pint. That should come down over the next decade or so. Better than $3-5/pint at the brewpubs or $8-12 for six.

Just the makings and propane? 0.30-0.70/pint. I could get a crusher and buy grain in bulk, but that's another $100-200 in capital costs.

orfy said:
How will the cost go down? You'll be using proportionatly more ingredients?
I always figured you'd save more if you buy in bulk. I usually buy my materials with one recipe in mind at a time, though I do have a stock pile of adjuncts and hops.

I think what I mean to say is if I did all grain, I bet my costs would go down.

The difference between 5g and 7g will be nothing.
Buying in bulk will save money. Increasing volume will not.
(Well you will a bit on hops due to hope utilisation)

Yes AG will reduce your cost.

All grain costs me 37 to 47 cents a bottle. My last extract brew cost 54 cents a bottle. All ingredients were bought in kit form from my local homebrew store.

Newcastle Brown Ale costs $1.35 a bottle, and Sam Adams is about $1.10 a bottle.

It varies widely based on the specific recipe, how much grain/adjunct is used, what kind of yeast, if you're reusing yeast, all-grain or extract, ordering in bulk, current prices of hops, etc.

I think prices ranging $0.25 to $0.75 per bottle is a good range estimate (factoring in only ingredients). My all-grain session ale is about $0.35 per bottle if I reuse yeast. I could get that down a lot further if I bought grain and hops in bulk. :rockin:

10-gallon All Grain batches of my Nierra Sevada (relative premium beer).

I recon it's about 25-30 cents a bottle including propane...not including other miscellaneous items (zip ties, garbage bags for spent grains, box of Triscuits for munching during boils...etc)

I'm right around 50 cents these days for my consumables. I usually distribute my equipment costs over the course of a year, so if you include the items that are less than a year old my price might be closer to a dollar.

+1 for consumables only. The equipment has a longer life span, plus salvage value. It's about 50 to 75 cents for a glass of all grain beer.

I just did the numbers and am running 60 cents per 12 oz. This will drop when I go completely AG starting with the brew I just did last night.

Dependant on were I get my base malt (store/brewer)

10-20p 20-40c

this is for the goblin.

image1yk9.jpg

Back