converting all grain to liquid malt extract+grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
10 1/3# 2-row
10 oz. Crystal 40
3/4 oz Chinook (60 min.)
3/4 oz EKG (15)
3/4 oz Cascade (15)
1/2 oz Crystal (1)
1/2 oz Cascade (1)
1/2 oz EKG (1)
1/2 oz Cascade (dry)

Wyeast 1056

how might i do this? this is a more mild ipa recipe i found online and would love to try but cant quite figure how i should do it... some people say .75#lme=1#dry grain, some i have seen say as low as .5#lme=1#dry grain. i was hoping for a brew around 5.5 to 6% dry finish? delicious in the sunshine.

1lb grain = .75 LME = .6 DME is a typical conversion, which I think assumes
LME in the 36-37 ppg range, DME in the 45 ppg range, and that the recipe is set for 75% efficiency.

For this I would go 6.5 lb light DME, 10 oz crystal 40 steeped. That should get you in the range you want.

1lb grain = .75 LME = .6 DME is a typical conversion, which I think assumes
LME in the 36-37 ppg range, DME in the 45 ppg range, and that the recipe is set for 75% efficiency.

For this I would go 6.5 lb light DME, 10 oz crystal 40 steeped. That should get you in the range you want.

so for this recipe you dont think LME would work as well?

you could do LME if you wanted to but it's just a different conversion. DME vs LME is just preference pro's and con's to either one.

Like jay said, just a preference. When I used to brew extract I felt like I got better results on pales and lighter beers with DME vs. LME, and doing a portion as late addition. Might have been the quality/age of the LME I was getting.

Latest posts

Back