L.P. gas set up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi
I am finishing up a conversion from natural gas to L.P. and have some questions.

I had a heating guy stup in a gas line into my garage. The line comes off of my large tank used to supply my homes appliances. The new line is located next to a door and I plan on brewing on a patio adjacent to that door.

It is a long run and my banjo burners really do not fire up very well. Therefore, I had a friend come over and he provided a high pressure regulator attached to a 100lb tank I had laying around. The burners rock and I melted a steel crossbar with my first brew.

I would like to get away from using the 100lb tank and hook my rig into the main line as I originally planned.

My question: Can I take that high pressure regulator off of the 100 lb tank, mount it to my single tier two burner rig and attach the regulator to the line I had installed? In other words, can I use that regulator as a booster?

Thanks.

You can't increase pressure & volume with a regulator. The problem isn't the run, it's the regulator at the large tank. It's most likely set for 11" wc - roughly .5 psi. I have the same setup for our laundry drier (holdover from many decades ago when our boys were all in diapers. Wow.)

If you don't want to use the 100lb tank and instead use the run that was installed to the garage, your best bet is probably going to be changing the gas orifice on your burners for a low pressure type...

Cheers!

Gammon N Beer said:
Hi
I am finishing up a conversion from natural gas to L.P. and have some questions.

I had a heating guy stup in a gas line into my garage. The line comes off of my large tank used to supply my homes appliances. The new line is located next to a door and I plan on brewing on a patio adjacent to that door.

It is a long run and my banjo burners really do not fire up very well. Therefore, I had a friend come over and he provided a high pressure regulator attached to a 100lb tank I had laying around. The burners rock and I melted a steel crossbar with my first brew.

I would like to get away from using the 100lb tank and hook my rig into the main line as I originally planned.

My question: Can I take that high pressure regulator off of the 100 lb tank, mount it to my single tier two burner rig and attach the regulator to the line I had installed? In other words, can I use that regulator as a booster?

Thanks.

I am a heating guy and you can get rid of the 100lb tank. You start with a 500-1000 gallon tank of lp, then there is a red regulator on that large lp tank itself, then you have your gas line going TO the garage where you will need what is called a second stage regulator which should be mounted to the garage, then another line going into the garage, which will go to your propane burner. You need to knock down the pressure from the big tank to around 11-14 inches water column.

I am a heating guy and you can get rid of the 100lb tank. You start with a 500-1000 gallon tank of lp, then there is a red regulator on that large lp tank itself, then you have your gas line going TO the garage where you will need what is called a second stage regulator which should be mounted to the garage, then another line going into the garage, which will go to your propane burner. You need to knock down the pressure from the big tank to around 11-14 inches water column.

Thanks 8889

Yes, I have the large, oh maybe 1500 gallon tank. From that tanks regulator is a line that heads to my garage. Mounted on that garage is another regulator that I assume is the second stage you noted.

From there a line enters my home and heads to the LP furnace. From there lines go to my hot water heater, cooking stove and dryer. There is also a line that heads back to the garage and fuels a fireplace located above the garage. It is from that line I had my contractor stub off the line that ends in a quick disconnect. From there I attach a line to my brew rig.

At that point I am getting weak pressure. Can I remove the high pressure regulator from my 100 lb tank and rig/place it between the QD and the first of two burners is my question. In effect, would that boost the pressure?

Thanks

Back