Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
This has been dry hopping for 10 days now and I am going to bottle it to day I will have an update with the FG soon here are the pics
It did not look like this yesterday it was evenly distributed across the top now today it has began clumping as you can see did not know if it was a sign of an infection.

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

image-1043987612.jpg

image-3311265503.jpg

Ok bottling got pushed back another day thanks for the replies I will let you know the FG and smell/ taste tomorrow. I hear an infection will most likely lead to bottle bombs how true is this?

See the bubbles and that is 24 hours after the first and it was not like that is it an infection if so can I still bottle and drink? Would it help or hurt to cold crash if it is an infection?

image-2779555641.jpg

Ok I now know that they are yeast rafts and not an infection so what to do next? Age longer to see if they will settle out on their own? Cold crash immediately then bottle or just bottle? history: It was in primary 3 weeks with no floaties when I transferred to 2ndry it sat 9 days then I dry hopped it has been 10 days with dry hopes and the floaties and extra bubbles didn't come about until last three days of dry hopping. It is the shot caller IPA kit from Austin Homebrew.

Just taste it. If it tastes good, bottle it. Dry hopping is a little wierd the first time you do it. It increases nucleation sites and bubbles out CO2 that is dissolved in the beer from pirmary fermentation. Perfectly normal.

Brewnoob1 said:
How long has it been in the primary?

It was in primary for 21 days and had no floaters when I transferred it to secondary. It sat in 2ndry for 9 days then I dry hoped it. after 7 days of dry hopping floaters and bubbles started appearing over the past 3 days. So 21 days in primary and now has been in 2ndry for 19 days.

What do people think now I will bottle still and let everyone known the fg smell and taste soon.

image-1477868746.jpg

Finally bottled today. Tasted fine and smelled great the finial gravity was higher than I was shooting for hit 1.021 trying for 1.017. So I learned my lesson about things looking sick and actually being sick.

Latest posts

Back