Using a gallon jug for a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomek322

Reaction score
hoping to brew a hefe tomorrow... Making a starter in a few. wondering if using a gallon jug will work? Any think particularly wrong with it?

I made pitched to the started 7 hours ago. I am using 3068 Wyeast... I am getting about 3 bubles per minute, nothing too vigorous. Only about 1/8th inch of foam. I was expecting a more vigorous reaction. anything to worry about.

seefresh said:
I jus tmade a hefe, I had a starter going for 36 hours, pitched it, didn't see any activity for 12 hours, then after 18 hours it was going FURIOUSLY.

this is just in the starter... I was going to brew today. Do I need to wait until the starter goes biserk?

I just went through all this. It's best (by some opinions) to pitch the starter when it's at full krausen. This is when the yeast is at it's fullest suspension and most active.

It sucks, but I only have the stove for one day out of he month.... two at most. Anywho today is the only day I can boild my wort. That said can I boil my wort, get it in the fermenter, airlock it... wait for my starter to get full krausen and pitch... if it takes 36 hours for the starter that would mean that my wort would be sitting without yeast for about a day. Is this bad?

Starters never get too crazy (like a full carboy/bucket of wort) - so pitch away.

Don't wait a day to pitch - pitch right away - even if you had to pitch right from the smack pack/vial/packet with no starter, it'd be better than waiting for your starter to look right, while your worth sits there getting infected.

Back