Converting AG Recipes to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
I'm wondering when converting from AG to extract, do the amounts for specialty grains remain the same? For example, if the AG recipe calls for 1/4lb chocolate malt, would the extract recipe use the same amount for steeping?

Seems to me like if that's the case then converting a recipe should be pretty easy, just convert the base grains to extract and away you go.

When I copied a recipe for a friend I just removed the 2-row and added in DME until the OG was the same. His beer ended up tasting a tiny bit different but I think that it was from whatever malts were used in the making of the DME he used.

TheJadedDog said:
I'm wondering when converting from AG to extract, do the amounts for specialty grains remain the same? For example, if the AG recipe calls for 1/4lb chocolate malt, would the extract recipe use the same amount for steeping?

Seems to me like if that's the case then converting a recipe should be pretty easy, just convert the base grains to extract and away you go.
All the recommendations I have seen seem to suggest this is the way to go.
A couple caveats:
Malts like Brown Malt, Munich, Vienna and some others require mashing with base malts for conversion.
Adjuncts like flaked oats or barley should be mashed for conversion.
If you don't do full wort boils then hop utilization will be affected and the amount of hops may need to be adjusted.
Still if I look at recipes like those in BYO that list AG and extract versions they usually just replace the base malt with pale extract or vise versa.
Craig

Back