Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russellqwerty

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
n\a
Final Gravity
n\a
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days ~ 65 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 Days ~ 65 F
Tasting Notes
n\a
120 crystal malt .35 lb
Dark chocolate roasted malt .35 lb
Roasted barley .35 lb
Oatmeal .7 lb
Light DME 5 lb
Corn Sugar (Bottling) .75 cups
Steep 30 min
Boil Time 60 min
Bittering .75 oz @ 0
Finishing 1 oz @ 60
Irish Moss 1 pack @ 35

Nottingham yeast 1 pack

(In Secondary)
Coffee bean (whole) 1/3 cup
French oak chips 2 cups

After bottling my first brew, Citra IPA, over the weekend which came from a kit. I wanted to try and make my own 5 gallon recipe for a breakfast stout. I am still a noob, so I am looking for feedback. Is this recipe possible? If so, what would be a good choice for hops?

I plan on adding coffee beans and oak chips to the secondary. I am hoping for a slight vanilla flavor from the oak chips.

I have been chopping up different recipes from different posts, attached is what I have so far.

Let me know your thoughts..

I would say bump up the crystal malt to .75 or 1#. Also, consider adding the coffee as a cold extract brew instead of straight beans. I've tried beans and grounds in the secondary and it left a somewhat harsh "grounds" like taste. Look up 'cold extract coffee' to see what I mean. You could even brew a little and add it to a bottle of your favorite stout to imagine how it may influence your brew recipe. You may consider leaving the coffee out altogether, because it can have a drastic effect on the beer. As far as hops go, maybe something traditional and mild, like Goldings.

Just my two cents : )

PS - I think your measurements are pounds yes, and not ounces? As in .35 lbs of crystal? Not suer that translates as far as your priming sugar is concerned though.

Thanks for the reply, yes the measurements are for pounds. Maybe, I will leave the coffee out all together, I would rather it have a slight flavor of coffee rather than a strong amount

If you're looking for a vanilla flavor you should consider this. You could get a couple fresh vanilla beans, split them and put them in a few ounces of vodka. Let it soak while the stout is in the primary fermenter and add it to the secondary when you transfer. This is something I have seen people execute with good results. Personally, I wouldn't know how this turns out but I will soon as I have a chocolate oatmeal milk stout in the secondary and I added this concoction on the advice of some brewers here.

This has been in the primary since last friday, the actual recipe I used was this:

120 crystal malt .35 lb
Dark chocolate roasted malt .35 lb
Roasted barley .35 lb
Oatmeal 1 lb
Light DME 9 lb
Steep 30 min
Boil Time 60 min
Kent Golding .75 oz @ 0
Kent Golding 1 oz @ 60
Irish Moss 1 tablet @ 45
Nottingham yeast 1 pack

This was actively fermenting @ 65 F for about 5 days slowed to a crawl after 6. I will probably let this sit for a week in the primary

Racked to the secondary last night, added oak chips and coffee beans. Upon opening the lids of the primary I was blasted with a strong smell of alcohol, and after a taste of the sample I would have to say it is very alcoholic indeed.

My last beer was a double chocolate oatmeal milk stout. When I racked to my bottling bucket it smelled like a super alcoholic tootsie roll. After a week in the bottle the smell is gone, and the beer is incredible. No hard alcohol flavors whatsoever.

My last beer was a double chocolate oatmeal milk stout. When I racked to my bottling bucket it smelled like a super alcoholic tootsie roll. After a week in the bottle the smell is gone, and the beer is incredible. No hard alcohol flavors whatsoever.

Sounds pretty close to what I'm thinking about for the next batch. Did you post a recipe for this or where can I find it?

Bottled on friday, I forgot to cold brew the coffee. So i just added some chilled coffee to the glass and it wasnt too bad, a little on the malty side

BreakfastStoutCarboy.jpg

Latest posts

Back