Clear beer by going low-tech

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
I've now made about 10 batches, so by no means am I some expert, but I think I've sussed my hazy beer or chill haze issues!

Each of my past brews, with the exception of the very first batch from a kit, has either had significant chill haze of has been hazy in general. Coincidentally, each of my batches, with the exception of the very first batch again, were made with 100% filtered water from my fridge filter.

I've used whirlfloc in all of the batches except the first one as well.

So the last two batches I've made suddenly have come out amazingly clear, the only difference: I used 50-100% tap water! No chill hazy whatsoever, and when the beer was in the fermenters it was clean and clear as well.

I read something on here about filters removing some of the minerals, calcium and such that things like whirlfloc might bind to in order to help drag down some of the haze. Who knows, but so far two for two and my Oktoberfest that I just brewed with 100% tap water was so clear in the kettle that I could see almost all of my immersion chiller after the cold break settled down.

Taste wise, no difference at all!

The added minerals may help yeast health and assist in flocculation. If your tap water is not loaded with chlorine it is ok for brewing.

I use well water and have only had one hazy beer out of 12,that was down to unfermentables in the wort.

about a third as deep as that. But it's fed by a stream right out of Chiang mai's famous Doi Suthep mountain.

I've now made about 10 batches, so by no means am I some expert, but I think I've sussed my hazy beer or chill haze issues!

Each of my past brews, with the exception of the very first batch from a kit, has either had significant chill haze of has been hazy in general. Coincidentally, each of my batches, with the exception of the very first batch again, were made with 100% filtered water from my fridge filter.

I've used whirlfloc in all of the batches except the first one as well.

So the last two batches I've made suddenly have come out amazingly clear, the only difference: I used 50-100% tap water! No chill hazy whatsoever, and when the beer was in the fermenters it was clean and clear as well.

I read something on here about filters removing some of the minerals, calcium and such that things like whirlfloc might bind to in order to help drag down some of the haze. Who knows, but so far two for two and my Oktoberfest that I just brewed with 100% tap water was so clear in the kettle that I could see almost all of my immersion chiller after the cold break settled down.

Taste wise, no difference at all!

A water filter won't remove dissolved minerals from tap water.

A water filter won't remove dissolved minerals from tap water.

I may not understand the ins and outs of it, but definitely the single switch to tap water from filtered water has improved clarity a lot. No chlorine flavors though our water is chlorinated (not chlorimined).

Back