Hi neighbor, borrow a cup of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I have read about getting yeast from your local micro brewery and thought it sounded like something to try. I just wonder what the actual practical aspects are for this. I.e., how (wiht what) do you collect it? Sanitation? How much to get? Do you still make a starter... etc.

Folks who have done this, care to elaborate? What have been your experiences?

What kinds of yeasts do they typically have? How receptive have they been?

I have two small time micro breweries in the area and I am thinking about it, but I don't want to waste their time by not being prepared when I go.

Thanks.

I have thought about this, too. I think the best thing to do is show up with a mason jar that has been thoroughly sanitized (either by boiling, or with a no-rinse sanitizer like Star-San). A mason jar of yeast slurry should lead to one vigourous ferment if pitched in a 6 gallon carboy, I would think! Definitely worth a try! What have you got to lose. Even if they say no, maybe you will make a friend with the brewmeister and learn a few things.

If you try, please let us know how you made out!

I make the 3 hour trip to Austin, TX often to visit family. Invariably, I also stock up at AHS while I'm there. Last time, I bought enough ingredients for 3 batches, but I left the hops and yeast in the fridge at my grandparents house. I realized this half way home. I stopped in at a Brew Pub about an hour from my house. After drinking two amazing IPAs, I explained my plight to the brewmaster. I was planning a pale ale. A while later, he emerged from the back with a drink cup halfway full of yeast pulled from his pale ale, an ounce of Chinook, and 3 ounces of Amarillo. He even wraped the yeast with an ice pack. I love the brewing community! I don't know about the sanitation of the yeast container, but I used half of it for the batch, and put the rest in two sanitized white labs vials. I'll know how the beer turned out in a few days when I rack to secondary. If it's good, I have two more vials to use! I gave him my number, so when it's done, he can come try it out. Had I been planning this, I would have certainly brought a sanitized container, but as it is, I don't expect any problems. If there is an infection, I'm only out some grain, as I still have the hops and yeast that would have gone into it.

This is an easy one.

Talk to the brewer prior to showing up with you mason jar. Chat him up, and he'll be your bud in no time. Once you have established he's cool with sharing his yeast get all your ducks lined up so all he has to do is decant the yeast to your vessel and hand it off to you. If you have a choice of yeast, just get what you need to brew with for that beer. You can always go back for more. :)
What works best for me:
A clean quart sized wide mouth Mason/Ball Jar
bake it in your oven at 250 for 20 minutes, lid removed (but also in the oven).
A brown paper bag is handy to put your jar in for delivery to the brewery.
Clearly communicate with the brewer when you will be dropping the yeast off, and when you expect to pick it up.

A quick followup call to let him know you are on the way might help too. (The brewer will likely do it while you are on the way over to grab your jar with yeast.)

1 quart of slurry should be ample enough to get your fermentation started, so no starter is required.

Share the finished product with the brewer, a kind heart goes a long way in this universe.;)
Who do you plan on using Trout River?

I've got a great relationship with one our local breweries, I am always getting yeast there and even more goodies at times.
The best way to do it is go and volunteer to work there on occasion. I use to go a couple of times a month either bottling, cleaning and after a while helping with the brewing process, I half way became part of the brewery staff, now I go down there all the time for yeast, advise and just to hang out a drink a few.

Glibbidy said:
Who do you plan on using Trout River?

Yeah, I was figuring Trout River. I have not actually gone there that much :eek:
I got a growler of Vieanna once and it was good.

There was another Brewery in Lyndonville called Hornpout but I just came across a site that said they went out of business. Did not last long.

Where do they draw the yeast from usually? I really should go there just to have a look around. I actually have not been to see a microbrewery in action.

We have a number of microbreweries on Long Island, NY. We have BluePoint Brewery, Brooklyn Brewery, etc... They do factory tours at Bluepoint with a free 'tasting room'. I've always wanted to drive out there just to check out the brew tour, which would've been really cool.

The only thing stopping me was SWMBO being only 20 until yesterday!!! Now I wanna go this weekend!

knights of Gambrinus said:
Where do they draw the yeast from usually?
They usually will pull it out of one of their orimary fermentation vessels to pitch into new batches, so if you can cath them on brew day, you'd be styling.

From what I remember Dan is a pretty reasonable guy, and would likely help you out. I haven't been to the brewery since they moved closer to the interstate.

I just did it yesterday, brought a sanitized sugar canister (with a latch)...he filled it to the brim and it's going absolutely nuts right now. Potent stuff!

Back