Neoprene in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRenoKid

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my first AG brew. I built a mash tun from a 36 qt Coleman cooler and I've driven myself crazy trying to get the outlet valve to stop leaking. I finally came up with a solution but it involved using a large neoprene washer on the inside of the cooler. So my question is:

Is the neoprene safe? Will it leach any chemicals or other nasties into my wort? Thanks.

I know Neoprene washers are food safe, cant be sure about the material in wetsuits but I "assume" so.

Can you flip it and put it on the outside of your cooler? I had a similar situation and cut one from a neoprene mousepad but I didn't want it inside and luckily it worked beautifulllay on the spigot side.

Thanks for the answers. I stopped in at my local hardware store (old school, not big box) on my way back from the homebrew store a little while ago. I was explaining to the guy what I was trying to do and without prompting, he said I would probably need to use a neoprene washer because it's food safe. So I guess that question is answered.

Good to know that "the guy" in the hardware store is all knowing! It must be that red vest that gives them all that extra knowledge. Just kidding of course, lol.

If you are ok with hot water in a cooler then a small neoprene washer should work. I'm not sure that all neoprene material is considered foodsafe. Consider this from Wikpedia, "Some people are allergic to neoprene while others can get dermatitis from thiourea, a compound used to vulcanize rubber into neoprene which can be left over after the manufacturing process.[citation needed] Lead-containing compounds, such as litharge (lead(II) oxide), are used as compounding agents to prepare finished products made of neoprene, and these can have a toxic effect on human blood, kidneys, and reproductive systems."

Back