Earliest Time it is "Acceptable" to drink on brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaydaw

Reaction score
Was wondering this morning as I am waiting for my mash to finish up...It is 1030 AM, I am brewing and feel like having a homebrew. What is the earliest you guys will dirnk on a brew day?!

i too am also mashing right now and if my wife and child were not here next to me eating waffles i would say NOW!!!!! but maybe wait until the boil starts.
hope this helps,
a very sad mark

Brewing today too...but haven't 'popped a top' yet. But I have had brew days that included a 'sample' well before 8am....

I guess I will wait til the boil. It's hard when this is what I am looking at!

image-3217197896.jpg

Can't beat a Hoegaarden with waffles or pancakes. Hell, it's on every breakfast menu in Belgium, so I say beer's fair game 7x24.

Gotta remember there are places in the world people wouldn't give it a second thought. hehe It's just beer. Besides there's a difference with having a beer in the morning and getting drunk.

While brewing I always crack a brew. I don't care what time it is, and the wife knows it... :D

I actually don't drink while brewing that much. A few samples, but the first pint is not usually poured until the wort is in the fermenter. And the number of times the yeast has almost not been pitched, it is a good idea.

The acceptable time is all in your head... I used to work 3rd shift and when my shift ended I would come home and have a few beers before bed. This was usually about 6-8am but it was acceptable to me. Be your own man, don't let others tell you how to live your own life... there is enough of that going on as it is.

I like to sip coffee from a mug in one hand, and sip a homebrew from a mug in my other!

Yeah putting a time to it is silly - or the wife talking!
Thankfully, I'm not normally in the mood for one early, but did yardwork last weekend and had a really nice cold one at 9:30am :tank:

If you have to ask when its acceptable to have a beer then you need to stop brewing. Its your Beer, your time and when you feel like having a Home Brew you Do it! Were brewers and that's what we do.

If you have to ask when its acceptable to have a beer then you need to stop brewing. Its your Beer, your time and when you feel like having a Home Brew you Do it! Were brewers and that's what we do.

I am not asking for anyones permission. I didn't realize you were the 'God of Homebrewing' and could tell me when I NEED to stop brewing. My apologies your highness. I have shut down my boil and will put up craigslist ads to cease my brewing career effective immediately. Thank you for letting me know it was time to stop.

Whenever I want one. I brew on my own free time, so I never hesitate to open one if I want to. I think the earliest I have cracked on was 6am. I worked a graveyard EMS shift, then got home cracked a beer and went straight to brewing.

I am not asking for anyones permission. I didn't realize you were the 'God of Homebrewing' and could tell me when I NEED to stop brewing. My apologies your highness. I have shut down my boil and will put up craigslist ads to cease my brewing career effective immediately. Thank you for letting me know it was time to stop.

Woah man, I was just bustin your chops a little. Geez, is it too early for that? :mug:

Just apply fishing rules of drinking...coffee on the way to the lake, beer once you're in the boat, and around 10 its ok to hit the whisky. So, coffee while you get your grains milled and water filtered and heated. Beer when you are mashing and boiling. Whisky or more beer during clean up :).

Personally my garage is a death trap so I stick to coffee when brewing or else I would end up slipping on a wrench, hitting my head on the brew kettle, and lighting myself on fire on the burner.

IMO, if you want a beer, drink a beer. Time is irrelevant.

I'm about to pour my first one of the day as I'm currently draining my first runnings from the MLT. Only waited this long because I don't want to be hammered by the time my boil is done today... that's been the trend over the last few brew sessions.

IMO, if you want a beer, drink a beer. Time is irrelevant.

I'm about to pour my first one of the day as I'm currently draining my first runnings from the MLT. Only waited this long because I don't want to be hammered by the time my boil is done today... that's been the trend over the last few brew sessions.

That was my dilemma! Once I get going the pace only seems to quicken. WIfe should be home in about an hour. We will see how it goes from there. Actually she will probably join me!

You cant drink all day if you dont start in the morning.

I go by my internal beer clock, sometimes the first beer is at 10 pm, sometimes its 8 am. it just depends on what I need to do, am I busy working or hanging out brewing?

The acceptable time is all in your head... I used to work 3rd shift and when my shift ended I would come home and have a few beers before bed. This was usually about 6-8am but it was acceptable to me. Be your own man, don't let others tell you how to live your own life... there is enough of that going on as it is.

That used to be me on 3rd shift. It was great when roommates were just waking up to see me sitting on the couch with a beer. Of course on a friday they would go off to work and I would go to bed when they left. Around 5 I would wake up (I always switched sleeping schedule on the weekend) as they got home from work and I would crack a beer because it was after 5 and officially night time.

What is the earliest you guys will dirnk on a brew day?!

There was one brewday were I started @5:30am, once the mash has been started is when we will start drinking.

Can't beat a Hoegaarden with waffles or pancakes. Hell, it's on every breakfast menu in Belgium, so I say beer's fair game 7x24.

Brunch in Brugge

If you're brewing, you should be drinking!

Yep you gotta please the beer gods :mug:

Precisely why a lot of bars open at 7am around here. They do a bang-up business from the graveyard guys, too.

Back