Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by @morbster
"Bet those were a lot of fun to cut out!"

Nah, I hired a girl scout troop! ;) just kidding. I only label the ones I give away and yes it takes time to cut. But, if I were to do many I'd make something to run an exacto knife around.

This is an easy one for the papercutter.

image.jpeg

doubt anyone will get this label unless i tell the story... watch the 7th fast and furious movie. Kurt Russell is in it as Mr. Nobody.. some kind of CIA agent guy.. he keeps talking about how great Belgian Ale is then walks up to a Sabco Brewmagic's mash tun and pours a full pint of beer out of it.

18870188_1540969135935750_1851414029_o.png

I wanted to go with something that I can use on all my bottles and be able to write everything in rather than making a new label for every batch.

Thoughts or suggestions on what to change or improve?

It's rather simple...with that said, I might remove the "artwork"

Harvest Street Hootch Label.jpg

^ Something you could do, is make this a .pdf file with that graphic and those text fields, then lock it. Then you just open it in whatever .pdf viewer program, type in the info and then "tab" to the next field, fill it out, etc., have several of them on a sheet of paper, then print it. Similar to what Brooklyn Brew Shop does for their recipe's labels, I did that and it works pretty good for me.

^ Something you could do, is make this a .pdf file with that graphic and those text fields, then lock it. Then you just open it in whatever .pdf viewer program, type in the info and then "tab" to the next field, fill it out, etc., have several of them on a sheet of paper, then print it. Similar to what Brooklyn Brew Shop does for their recipe's labels, I did that and it works pretty good for me.

Overall, my goal was to stay away from printing it myself and just order enough sheets to get me through a few 5 gallon batches. It'll run me about $0.50-0.60 per bottle though which is a kick in the butt.

Wonder about some kind of dry erase marker that doesn't wipe off that easy...that way I could just write directly on the bottle.

Ahh okay, I see. There is some labels that you can just write on and then wipe and re-use. As for writing directly on the bottles, what about a wax or grease pencil, that'll write on glass.

As for writing directly on the bottles, what about a wax or grease pencil, that'll write on glass.

Ah, good idea. Do you know if either of those come off relatively easy? For example, I re-use bottles so I'd like to be able to rinse and repeat without losing the text if I pick the bottle up in my hand. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

Here is another generic label for a Vienna Lager, hopefully I managed to spell this one correctly! Created on Gimp 2.8 a free and open source graphics software.

MSK_chess_Vienna_lager.png

You also can't spell brewed, unless brewd is the way the Scots spell it

Actually brewd is intentional. Its not an original idea though, others have used the same syntax, its just artistic license. For example see below. I suppose for the sake of any grammar prigs that may be lurking around in the undergrowth ready to leap up like a tiger one really should put an apostrophe in. e.g brew'd but I like brewd. its minimal.

brewd-boulcott-lg.png

brewd.jpg

I'm what you described as a grammar prig.

Sounds good.

I won't mention the missing comma after actually in the sentence; " Actually, brewd is intentional" or the one after for example in the sentence; "For example, see below"

Don't want to come off like a pouncing tiger from the undergrowth.

Sounds good.

I won't mention the missing comma after actually in the sentence; " Actually, brewd is intentional" or the one after for example in the sentence; "For example, see below"

Rather interestingly there was a chap in England who went around correcting apostrophes on signs. He stated that such poor attention to grammar was corrupting the youth. He would sneak around at midnight and offer up an apostrophe on a specially designed pole matching the colour and the text so as not to offend anyone. He was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 only after ascertaining that his anonymity would be guaranteed.

I put an apostrophe in brew'd but I did not like how it looked. Sorry one must sacrifice convention for the sake of artistic endeavour. I am sure you understand. :)

Sounds good.

Sure correct away, whatever rocks your world. :)

Here is a design utilizing an image from Russian artist Ivan Bilibin. It was originally published in a book illustrating Russian fairy tales.

MSK_Imperial_stout_small.png

Here is one taken from an old horror movie poster entitled 'The creature from the black lagoon.'

For what its worth, I like Brew'd with the apostrophe. Reason being is that I read it with a Scottish accent and to an American, such as myself, it stands out when something is Brew'd in Scotland vs Brewed or Brewd in Scotland, it has more appeal and charm, perhaps a lucky charm...lol...:D

Back