brand of malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonj

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm going to buy some malt extract and cant choose between Muntons or John Bull.
Is any one better than the other? or both equal?

cheers,
Simon.

I used John Bull when I made a Pete's Wicked ale clone and it turned out great a little on the sweet side. I have heard Muntons will leave the beer with a little more on the dry side, but I have not used this product in the liquid form yet. Both are good quailty brands so I dont think you could go wrong with ethier choice.

Iuse muntons all the time. I dont know about that dry quality, isn't that dependent on other things too? I think you are safe using either. Muntons tastes great right out of the can.....like molasses.

I use Muntons all the time as well, never had a problem with a batch that was malt-related....only dumb mistakes on my part!

As to the dryness, that seems to be more dependent on the techniques and yeast that you use as opposed to the extract itself.

Happy brewing!

thanks guys, i'll stick to John bull - i've used it before without any problems...... plus its cheaper too!! :mug:

Back