Bottling Day! Two last minute questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbad

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my first batch this evening, and I want to first of all thank you guys for all the help you provided! Couldn't be here today without the friendly advice.

Question 1: I am going to sanitize my bottles with StarSan for the first time tonight, and it says on the bottle that you need to use gloves when working with StarSan. Is this true even when it has been diluted (1oz. per 5 Gallons correct)? Or is that warning only in reference to its undiluted form...just wondering if I am going to have to have rubber gloves on during the whole sanitization process.

Question 2: As far as the priming solution goes, I have read in John Palmer's book that the solution is 4 oz. of corn sugar per 5 gallon batch, but the bag that came with my kit is 5 oz. Is the extra just in case some gets spilled or should i make the solution with the whole 5 oz. bag?

Thanks a lot! Getting pumped to actually be at the fun part of making beer!

1. I use a spray bottle of starsan solution and spray thing down to sanitize them rather than making a big batch. I often spray sanitize things in my hand and just dry my hands with an old towel afterwards with no problems. Though... some folks on here have reported their skin reacting to it on contact. It's up to you and how your skin handles it, I guess.

2. How you prime depends on style. You can use a calculator like this: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html to get an idea on how much to prime to style, or if you like fizzy beer like most americans are conditioned to, you can just go with 1oz per gallon.

Answer 1. No need for gloves when mixed. When I'm in it all day, my hands get a bit dry but a little hand lotion fixes that right up.

Answer 2. I usually use 5 oz unless the style dictates differently.

1. No problem in diluted form. Its safe to drink actually. Also mix a small 2.5g batch with distilled water to fill a squirt bottle. The stuff is good for months. Minerals though turn it cloudy and render it less effective as far as storage. A vintator is the greatest thing to sanitize bottles with. Last thing don't fear the foam its yeast food.

Latest posts

Back