How Much DME for 1/2 gallon starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I am making some starters tonight for a IPA. I never really worried about making sure my starters were at the recommended OG of 1.040. Can someone enlighten on how much DME to add to 1/2 gallon of water to achieve this?
Thanks in advance.

1/2 cup DME per 2 cup water. You got 8 cups there. 2 cups DME it is.
Small%20Yeast%20Starter.gif

Hot like the boiling wort...

I use 3.5 oz DME to 1 qt which is as near as makes no difference 100 grams per liter.
That's slightly less than 1 cup per quart, but not by much.

-a.

If you start measuring starters in metric, your life will be MUCH easier! I do a ratio of 10 mL of water to 1g of DME. I usually make 1L starters, so I use 100g of DME.

I've stopped using volume measurement for everything but water in my brewing. Weight is much more accurate for things like DME and priming sugar. Of course you need a scale for this. You can get a decent one at WalMart for ~$30. Just make sure it can measure metric.

In your case 1/2 gallon = approximately 2L. Use 200 g.

If you start measuring starters in metric, your life will be MUCH easier! I do a ratio of 10 mL of water to 1 oz of DME. I usually make 1L starters, so I use 100 oz of DME.

I've stopped using volume measurement for everything but water in my brewing. Weight is much more accurate for things like DME and priming sugar. Of course you need a scale for this. You can get a decent one at WalMart for ~$30. Just make sure it can measure metric.

In your case 1/2 gallon = approximately 2L. Use 200 g.

100oz DME for 1L !!!! o_O

I think you mean 1g per 10mL of water...

also, isnt that 10ml for post boil stater wort? for if you boil for 5-10 minutes, your concentration goes up as you evap....

100oz DME for 1L !!!! o_O

I think you mean 1g per 10mL of water...

also, isnt that 10ml for post boil stater wort? for if you boil for 5-10 minutes, your concentration goes up as you evap....

yea...sorry about that. I've updated my post.

Let me make it a little more clear. I probably simplify it in my mind. I use Jamil's method found at MrMalty.com.

If you're working in metric, it couldn't be easier. Use a 10 to 1 ratio. Add 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final volume. (If you're making a 2 liter starter, add water to 200 grams of DME until you have 2 liters total.) Add ¼ teaspoon of yeast nutrient, boil 15 minutes, cool, and add yeast.

I probably should have done that in the first place. I made it seem like you pre mix 1 liter of water and 100g of DME. You boil for 10-15 min, so you do have to account for boil off.

Back