First Strawberry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
Alright, i've got 11 beer batches under my belt and a co worker was interested in making mead so I figured why not. So we started with a kit from my LHBS Midwest Supplies. Below are the details and where we are at.

The below went into the fermenter after steeping the honey/1 gallon water.
-15lbs honey
-4 gallons water
-2 packets D47
-yeast nutrient

Planning out 5 months before bottling, anyone suggest any changes to my schedule?

month 1- fermenation
month 2- rack to carboy
month 3- rack on top of 14lbs of strawberry for 1 month
month 4- rack off strawberries
month 5- rack again and adding 3lbs of honey for back sweetening
and then to bottle after month 5, then age for 6-12 months or longer if needed.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Would like this first batch to turn out as best it can. I've got carboys of all sizes so i'll be sure to keep the headspace to a minimum as I rack.

Sounds like you have a good plan going on there. I would read Hightest's FAQ on this page and pay special attention to the Staggered Nutrient Addition. Also, you will need to kill off the yeast before adding the 3lbs of honey for backsweetening unless you are looking for sparkling mead.

Thanks for the input, got a few questions.

First off I was under the assumption that waiting out the yeast and multiple rackings would thin out the yeast enough to be sure fermentation wouldn't start up again thus no need for yeast killers. I also thought yeast killing additions might give off flavors?

Secondly, by sparkling mead do you mean carbonated?

Thanks

*edit- i'll also take a look at Hightests FAQ

It is possible that enough yeast will be removed; but why take the risk? Used in proper amounts I am under the impression that yeast killers will not cause off flavors.

Yes, I meant carbonated. From what I understand it can be kind of tricky to get perfectly carbonated sweet mead do unless you force carb in a keg.

neal is correct - there's always a "risk" that if you backsweeten that enough yeast remains that will restart fermentation.

Now, I've lucked out and my yeast seem to crap out on a few batches and I haven't needed it (at least a month in the bottle and no bombs or pushed out corks), but since I started getting more serious about it - I'm using the sorbate and sulfate to ensure I have no issues going forward.

Back