Question about my Smoked Porter in the secondary..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
AHS extract clone kit. White Labs 002 English Ale Yeast -- Double Pitched
OG 1.064 -- FG 1.018 Kit estimate.

MY OG 1.064

17 days in the primary (68*) SG reading on Day 15 = 1.019 Day 17 1.019, racked it to the secondary (68*) 10 days ago. I've not taken another SG reading, but there is a steady bubble in the air lock, one small bubble every two seconds. This has been going on the whole time it's been in the secondary (glass carboy) I was thinking about bottling in three our four days....

my questions:

If it's still bubbling should I start taking SG readings to make sure that it is really done fermenting?

Should I just let it set in the secondary for 2.5 more weeks before taking a SG/FG reading?

At what point should I start worrying about not having enough yeast for bottle carbonation?

I think you could go either way on when to take your gravity readings now. If you want to take one today and another in a few days to compare, you can... or you can wait a couple more weeks if you're feeling patient.

As far as having enough yeast to bottle carb, you should be fine. It would take a number of months to be in danger in that department.

Just take a gravity reading and if it's still at 1.019 you are safe to bottle. If it has dropped some since moving to secondary, wait a couple days and check it again to make sure it is stable.

Like phidelt said, it takes a few months to have to worry about not enough yeast. I wouldn't worry about that until 6+ months.

If it's still bubbling every two seconds, it's not done fermenting - DO NOT BOTTLE!

1.064 is a decent-sized beer, a few more weeks in secondary will do it well. Smoked porters take a little aging to hit their peak, anyway. I'm curious that it's still fermenting, I'd take a reading just to see how low it's gotten, but 1.019 wasn't THAT low to begin with.

Regardless, still bubbling 10 days post-racking, it's still fermenting.

Back