Widmer Bros. Snow Plow recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeaverBrewer

Reaction score
So I'm looking to brew a batch of Snow Plow up for SWMBO for xmas, as she mentioned it's one of her favorite beers. Thing is, I've looked everywhere and found nothing. Learned a lot about the beer, but no dice.

The website lists the ingredients here, but I am too nub to formulate it out.:drunk:

So if anyone has a recipe or can come up with a good one I'd greatly appreciate it.

Alchemy bittering hops? What in the hell?

It's been too long since I've had this, I can't really remember what it tastes like. They do give you quite a bit of good info though. It has lactose in it as well.

Alchemy is their blend of hops. In the past I remember digging up what some of the older formulations were, but they change it with hop availability and flavor. I suspect they try to blend them to get a pretty consistent result

I like this beer year round actually.

this winter I am trying a different hop blend and a different grain bill on my v.2 clone.
It's Steep/Extract recipe and uses Wyeast NW Ale yeast. I like it better, but I are a weird one.

I think I can post before the Apfelwein kicks in.

SnowBLOWER.
A TAC clone of Widmer's Snow Plow.

7 lbs LME
1 lb DME
1/2 Lb 60 Crystal
1/2 Lb Roasted Barley
1/2 Lb Flaked Oats
3 oz Black Patent Malt.
1/2 LB lactose
.5 oz cascade - bittering
.5 oz amarillo - bittering
.5 oz Glacier ( Fuggle or Willamette if you can get'em ). Aroma hops. giggity.

Wyeast 1332 Northwest ( 2 for 1 at the LHBS -- and it tastes gooooood.)

Steep the grains @ 150 for 30 minutes. I use 2 gallons of RO water.
Add 1 cups of LME then bring to boil.
Bittering hops at start of boil. 60 minutes.
Aroma Hops at 5 minutes
Lactose last 5 minutes
Add the rest of LME and DME after 60 minute boil. wait 10 minutes to sanitize.

Pour wort into primary. add cold water to make 5 gallons.
Pitch yeast at 75 degrees.

Let this brew bubble for 2 weeks. It will make your brewspace smell special. there will be love in the room. A good and nurturing love.
Bottle or Keg as your pleasure dictates.
If you bottle use 3/4 cup Corn sugar mixed with 8 oz boiling water in the bottling bucket.
Condition for a minimum of two weeks.
three is better. Four is perfect, if you can wait.

Prost!

I don't do the AG thing yet.
I never have more than 2-3 hours to brew at any given time.

someday tho.
someday.

here's a thought.
Let SWMBO brew this using the extract techniques. That is if she doesn't already brew AG with you.

Snow Plow was originally a homebrewer recipe, so there has to be an actual homebrew recipe out there somewhere. Taint's recipe looks good though.

Oh man this is a good beer, I would like to try this one, may have to be next year as I already have my winter brew going and don't really want something like this during a 110 degree summer.

Let me see what happens when I throw the ingredients in beersmith though.

malts

PALE, CARAMEL 60L,WHEAT,
OATS, CARAPILS, BLACK
ROASTED BARLEY
hops

BITTERING: ALCHEMY
AROMA: WILLAMETTE

Snow Plow was originally a homebrewer recipe, so there has to be an actual homebrew recipe out there somewhere. Taint's recipe looks good though.

As Evil said, Snow Plow was a collaboration between Widmer and a homebrew club.

-From the website.

This Milk Stout is the result of the Collaborator project, a project between the Oregon Brew Crew (one of the oldest home-brewing clubs in the nation) and Widmer Brothers that identifies unique beer styles for distribution to the public. To learn more about Collaborator beers and the Oregon Brew Crew, visit www.oregonbrewcrew.com
2004 GABF Gold Medal Award Winner

-From Oregon Homebrewers.
This Stout became known as the Collaborator Stout and was an instant success. Over the years, this Collaborator beer has probably been brewed more often than all of the subsequent Collaborator beers combined. Its popularity was further boosted when it became the AHA's Big Brew recipe for National Homebrew Day in 1999. That was surpassed when Widmer tweaked the original recipe and introduced the Collaborator Milk Stout as Snow Plow Stout in 2004 as their annual winter seasonal and won a GABF gold medal. Snow Plow Stout is Widmer's best selling seasonal beer. Rob and Kurt honored the Brew Crew by including a short history of the Collaborator project and a Brew Crew Logo on the six pack holders.

Time to hit the AHA archives.

GOLD!

Collaborator Milk Stout - Big Brew '99 Stout

Ingredients: All Grain 5 gallons
*6 lb. Pale Malt
*1 lb. Wheat Malt
*1.5 lb. Caramel Malt 60L
*1 lb. CaraPils Malt
*5 oz. Black Patent Malt
*12 oz. roasted Barley*12 oz. Flaked Oats
*1 lb. Flaked Barley
*1 lb. Lactose (added to kettle)
*3/4 oz. Centenial (10.1% AA) 75 min.
*1/2 oz. Willamette (5.1% AA) 5 min.
*Wyeast #1742 Swedish Porter Yeast

*Extract/Partial Mash 5 gallons
*5 lb. Pale Malt Extract
*1 lb. Wheat Dry Malt Extract (55%)
*1 lb. CaraPils Malt
*5 oz. Black Patent Malt
*1 lb. Flaked Barley
*1 oz. Centenial (10.1% AA) 75 min.

Instructions: OG - 1.061*FG - 1.032*

There ya go!

Oh snap you found it! I figured there had to be one out there somewhere. I just must be search engine challenged. Thanks for all the help.

You are most welcome.
Good Luck with the brew... let us know what happens and post pics of the results if you can. ( or keg or bottle..or.... ) :mug:

As Evil said, Snow Plow was a collaboration between Widmer and a homebrew club.

-From the website.

-From Oregon Homebrewers.

Time to hit the AHA archives.

GOLD!

Collaborator Milk Stout - Big Brew '99 Stout

Ingredients: All Grain 5 gallons
*6 lb. Pale Malt
*1 lb. Wheat Malt
*1 lb. CaraPils Malt
*5 oz. Black Patent Malt
*1 lb. Flaked Barley
*3/4 oz. Centenial (10.1% AA) 75 min.

*Extract/Partial Mash 5 gallons
*5 lb. Pale Malt Extract
*1 lb. Wheat Dry Malt Extract (55%)
*1 lb. CaraPils Malt
*5 oz. Black Patent Malt
*1 lb. Flaked Barley
*1 oz. Centenial (10.1% AA) 75 min.

Instructions: OG - 1.061*FG - 1.032*

There ya go!

This is a great start, but as the website say, they had modified it in 2004 to come up with their milk stout. Do you think this was just modifing the hops or do you think there was more done?

Widmer says that the Platos = 17 or 1.070 gravity which is a bit stronger that the above recipe.

Do you think this was just modifing the hops or do you think there was more done?

I'm certain they tweaked the grain and the yeast. The Wyeast 1742 is a discontinued product for homebrewing, but perhaps there is something that Widmer has access to that is tailored for their needs.
The Alchemy hops blend is still a mystery to anyone but Widmer.

I do know that Snow Plow is really easy to drink and I can't wait for it to hit the store so I can compare the v.2 recipe. :)

Brewing the v.2 recipe version as I type.

--The grains are steeping and the color is very encouraging. :)

--Boil in progress. The condo smells of Fresh Hops.

--In the Bucket. Yeast Pitched.

--OG 1.070 :ban:

Now the waiting begins.

Alchemy is approx. 1/3rd each of zeus, horizon and warrior. I would use that for bittering. It's the signature of all the Widmer beers.

If I don't succeed in finding this brew, I just might have to brew it and split the batch with EdWort. It's just sad that we can't get this in Tx. At least I haven't seen it at the big beer stores. I love Widmer beers. Well, everthing except the "hefe" anyway.

Snow Plow V.2

IS good.
However isn't quite what I was looking for. It is more of a Porter on Steroids.
I guess it's back to v.01.

I need some stout. Perhaps a re-visit to the collaborator stout is in order.
or... another batch of my dead-on Terminator clone.

so many choices, too few taps.

I love Widmer beers. Well, everthing except the "hefe" anyway.

It's a love/hate with me.

Loved it on tap in PDX. Hated it in bottles. Last year at this time, I was killing a 6 pack of Snow Plow every other night.
This was in addition to being 2 blocks from a McMenamins and easy access to my favorite Beer -- Terminator Stout.

I used the Collaborator Milk Stout recipe but ended up using Wyeast 1098 British Ale Yeast. Do you think 3.5 weeks in the primary is enough time for this beer? I haven't made a stout before and I wasn't sure if I should let it go for longer or how long it should stay in bottles for. Thanks!

Back