Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to sit through Drinking Buddies... I thought it was a movie about brewing... boy was I wrong...

If you were looking for a movie just about craft beer, you would be sorely disappointed. However, I think the movie itself was well done. The craft beer angle is just a backdrop.

You mean like, was he dropped on his head as a baby? Probably.

You mean like, where is he now? Last I heard he was living with his Mommy. He's 10 years older than me. We were married 3 grueling years! THAT was "way back when" though.

I mean like: if he sees a girl ordering beer and all he can think about is that it will give her farts....there must've been one of those holding him under the covers type experiences at play. :p

While perusing the local craigslist I found this

http://austin.craigslist.org/for/4292770154.html

Made me crack up pretty hard. That poor thing is in bad shape!

HA! Now that is a professional piece of brewing equipment.

He should market it as a condenser for distilling. Some idiot interested in moonshining for the first time will pick it up in a second, I guarantee it.

Ugh, I'm only one minute into the video and already it's excruciating.... :D

I didnt watch the whole thing, just skipped around. They mash at 148, because 152 is to high and hurts the sugars. "Most commercial beers are dry, even if you havent noticed, they are." "A rolling boil is too harsh on the sugars." They even boiled with the lid ON! :smack:

What a damn idiot. First he made the ****tiest chiller I've ever seen, then he broke it. Apparently he doesn't know anything about the acidity of wort because that thing will turn almost pink every time you use it. He acts like its gonna look like the Statue of Liberty after you use it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What a damn idiot. First he made the ****tiest chiller I've ever seen, then he broke it. Apparently he doesn't know anything about the acidity of wort because that thing will turn almost pink every time you use it. He acts like its gonna look like the Statue of Liberty after you use it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I learned something ! An English IPA is an "An American take on English Ale". I did not know that ~ and I thought maybe that BS I heard about extra hops going in the barrels headed to India as a preservative was just that ~ BS!

HA! Now that is a professional piece of brewing equipment.

He should market it as a condenser for distilling. Some idiot interested in moonshining for the first time will pick it up in a second, I guarantee it.

I need someone else to help me hate the "moonshinning" crowd, wanna help?

I should have added an emoticon or 6 to denote sarcasm

No, I got the sarcasm, my "well, actually" was because according to Mitch Steele's research, the notion that brewers had to add excessive hops to beer so it would survive the journey from England to India actually *is* BS.

Hodgson and others were successfully shipping normally-hopped Porter and other styles to India long before anything called "IPA" was invented. And a hoppy, bitter pale ale was shipped for decades before they started calling it "India Pale Ale."

IPA is really hoppy and bitter because that's how the British aristocracy stationed in India liked it, not because it was the only way the beer could survive the journey.

The more you know! :)

No, I got the sarcasm, my "well, actually" was because according to Mitch Steele's research, the notion that brewers had to add excessive hops to beer so it would survive the journey from England to India actually *is* BS.

Hodgson and others were successfully shipping normally-hopped Porter and other styles to India long before anything called "IPA" was invented. And a hoppy, bitter pale ale was shipped for decades before they started calling it "India Pale Ale."

IPA is really hoppy and bitter because that's how the British aristocracy stationed in India liked it, not because it was the only way the beer could survive the journey.

The more you know! :)

I never like to let facts get in the the way of a good story! :cross: :D

Ok - understood! Yet either story will date IPA back to the 1600's as opposed to the Two Knuckleheads video which deems IPA as an 'American take on English Ale' which I found quite humorous

My BS-meter overloaded at 5:55. I hope to return to their brewing high jinx when I get around to shoveling enough of this crap out of my personal space.

My wife is pregnant. Some nurse giving a lecture said, regarding breastfeeding: Oatmeal is good, so you should drink 8 oz a day of dark lagers.

You fool, never argue with a medical professional saying it's okay to drink beer! :mad:

:p :tank:

Doc ONCE told my wife that a few beers before dinner is good as it stimulates an appetite which will help me gain weight and up my "Way to low cholesterol"
She shows him pics of my 12 tap kezzer and lets him know that eating, isn't a problem AND she wasn't aware of my low cholesterol.
So after a COMPLETE physical results are no noticeable affect to my health, but my cholesterol is still about 20% lower then they would like to see it. We calorie counted for a couple of days, 2500-5000 per day and she started to gain weight :D I have held the same weight for the last 22 years without any change in diet. I drink 3-8 beers (mine) daily and only drink commercial beer if we are out somewhere or maybe a 4 or 6 pack of something I have heard about that I might want to clone :mug:

Doc ONCE told my wife that a few beers before dinner is good as it stimulates an appetite which will help me gain weight and up my "Way to low cholesterol"
She shows him pics of my 12 tap kezzer and lets him know that eating, isn't a problem AND she wasn't aware of my low cholesterol.
So after a COMPLETE physical results are no noticeable affect to my health, but my cholesterol is still about 20% lower then they would like to see it. We calorie counted for a couple of days, 2500-5000 per day and she started to gain weight :D I have held the same weight for the last 22 years without any change in diet. I drink 3-8 beers (mine) daily and only drink commercial beer if we are out somewhere or maybe a 4 or 6 pack of something I have heard about that I might want to clone :mug:

OK, officially am completely jealous. Care to take up smoking?

Back