What's eating the tips of my Cascades?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpacemanSpiff

Reaction score
First year growing and I've got Centennials and Cascades right next to each other. the Centennials are going great with 4 strong bines and 3 of them are in the 5-8' range.

The Cascades have struggled all year though. I had an initial shoot that was just long enough to tie up and a few days later it shriveled and died. I've had a couple other shoots come up and one seemed pretty strong. It got to 1' or so and then it looks like the growing tip is just gone. I've got a few side shoots going at ground level, but why is this plant performing so poorly compared to the Centy's and what would cause the tips to fall off on them while the Centy's are doing fine?

The simple explanation is that dinosaurs are eating your hops. A picture would help but my guess since the centennials are fine is that it's not a bug. I've watched animals run through my yard and break some of the weaker bines when they bump into them. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the tips thought, I started rhizomes indoors early this year and i trimmed the tips back when they grew out of control. Side shoots came out towards the top and then became the new growing tip. Basically the first year your plants are just trying to get their feet into the dirt and won't produce too much anyhow. But again a picture would help give you an answer to your real question

Hopefully these pictures aren't too terrible. Definitely no T-Rex tracks! It's just like the tip turned brown and died. The pictures are of two bines that this has happened to. The bines weren't as strong as the centennials are, but they aren't wispy little things either.

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG

It looks like animal damage to me. Bugs usually go after the leaves too. I would guess rabbit or dog. Not sure why they're going after the cascades and not the cents tho. Some new growth shoots should come out but I would try to get a physical barrier around them for now

Definitely not a dog, or at least not my dog. But there are plenty of rabbits roaming around here. Putting up a barrier sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the help! :mug:

few days ago my magnum got on the roof of the garage, next morning tip was bitten off just like on your pic, i suspect freaking squirrels, they also steal my tomatoes

few days ago my magnum got on the roof of the garage, next morning tip was bitten off just like on your pic, i suspect freaking squirrels, they also steal my tomatoes

Squirrels will chew just about anything. This winter I had strung xmas lights on a ~20' tall spruce at the end of our driveway. I stopped lighting them on Feb 1. When I went to take them down a few weeks later I discovered the stupid squirrels had chewed the plugs and sockets off of all 8 strings! :mad:

Cheers!

I'm having the same issue wonder if it is squirrels, I was thinking it was birds. If it is squirrels is there any kind of squirrel repellant?

Last year my hops produced beautifully but this year even though the plant looks very healthy...nothing...could it be squirrells eating the hops too? I wonder...

Back