Building a Yeast Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKEbrew

Reaction score
I don't have an autoclave & SWMBO is quite against me obtaining or using one; citing danger, calibration, blah, blah, blah.

I want to build up a small supply of yeast. I want to wash yeast & slant yeast. Do I need to just ignore her and move forward, or do I have other options?

I've already thought of telling her "its not a pressure cooker, its an autoclave" but I don't think that will get me anywhere.

Did she have a bad accident with a cooker? Controlling purchasing over irrational fears is unhealthy. Speaking from experience.
If you can afford one, and this is your hobby, do it. Understanding the safe use of anything, whether it's a steam iron or a gun, is the key.

I use a low pressure cooker, its called a Wearever Chicken Cooker. It peaks around 5 psi. Since it doesn't get to 15 psi, I use a sterilization method called "tyndallization." Works for me. I use this method because right now I can't justify a couple hundred bucks for a big boy pressure cooker. I picked the Cooker up at a garage sale for 5 bucks. I always see em around....

Pelipen, I do agree it's unrational. I figured I'd seek an alternative before continuing my argument.

We do own guns. Also, dogs bite & I let her get one of those ;)

This ain't over.

Thanks for the feedback.

You can get by without a pressure cooker; but you should examine your cultures under the microscope to make sure you are not picking up spores. Once you see spores or anything else that doesn't look like yeast, reculture it.

Irrational opinions (irrational fears included) are just that- irrational.

You can't use logic our rational argument against them, by definition.

That said, I think I heard somewhere that high temp, long duration dry heart can sterilize as well, but I can't remember the source. 2 hours at 350, as I recall. Our you could use tyndallization- google is your friend there.

Modern Pressure Cookers have so many safety releases and blow offs installed They are perfectly safe unless you modify them. I am sure UL has more then a few certified models.

I just used my pressure cooker for the first time last night. First, the handle has a latching mechanism preventing you from opening it while it has any pressure. Secondly, the 15 pound weight has a load of vents on it meaning if you are just boiling plain water, it will never clog. Thirdly, it has a rubber blow out stopper that if the vent does clog, this plug will burst releasing the pressure. There are so many safety mechanisms I am not sure you'd even be able to deliberately make the thing explode.

I would suggest this pressure cooker: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RNH7PQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I used it this weekend... it worked great and price was reasonable.

You can get rid of her calibratoin argument, as you don't have to calibrate it -- it comes with weights at 5, 10 and 15 psi instead of a guage. And I agree with others, the safety features in these make it really difficult to have an accident with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boiling won't really sterilize. Some contaminants such as wild yeast spores can survive boiling water. If storing for a long time, you want it as sterile as possible.

Make no mistake. Pressure cookers can be dangerous if you don't use them properly. But, so can firearms, power tools, electricity, gas lines, automobiles, and even beer. I grew up in a family that pressure cooked a lot of food and was trained early on how to use them. It's just another tool to me, granted one that should be respected. Like mentioned above, they have safety features. The static pressure relief valve is designed to blow way before the cooker does and they work. My Dad had an old cooker, 30 years old or so and he fell asleep one night while canning up something. The relief valve blew and he lost all his jars, but the cooker was just fine. He bought a new one, and gave the old one to me. I replaced the relief valve and I've been using it for a few years now.

^well said...like any other tool, they need to be learned, maintained, and respected.

Back