Priming sugar mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokamantratarius

Reaction score
Hey, so I think I may have made a mistake. I bottled my first batch on tuesday and I forgot to boil the sugar in water for 5 mins...in fact I didn't dilute the sugar in any water I dumped it into the bottling bucket and then siphoned the beer into the bucket.

I made my 2nd batch last night and so far it is wonderful, the house smelled great and the yeast is going nuts right now about 2-3inchs of foam on top and a bubble every .5sec or so and it smells great.

So did I screw up and what advice do you have for priming my upcomming batch? :rockin:

I'm not sure, but I think that you'll be okay... Next batch, just add your 3/4 cup of corn sugar to a pint or so of water, boil it for five-ten minutes, cool it, and you're ready to go.

As long as you stirred until the sugar dissolved, you probably won't have a problem. If you didn't stir enough, plan on some bombs and some flat bottles.

:mug: I recommend you drink it all as quickly as possible after brewing is complete so it won't have time for nasties to multiply!!!:mug: :D

I'm sure you'll be OK. Even though the sugar was not sterilized by boiling, the alcohol in the beer should be enough to hold off most things that may be detrimental... but thats just my guess.

Next time boil to be save and get a better mix... (sugar in solution will mix into the beer much easier than sugar in dry form; no stirring necessary if you rack on top of the liquid [at least I never do and I always get uniform carbonation])

Back