Imperial Stout Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply. How much bourbon soaked french oak would you recommend using and for how long would you let it be in the stout?

I would soak an oak spiral in my choice of bourbon, Makers Mark, for 2 weeks then attach the spiral to a stainless steel wire and hang it in the keg. Take a hydro sample at a week, and keep checking it. Thats what Im getting ready to do to my batch. Im not for sure, but I think others have already done it in this thread. Id look for that advice too.

Just picked up ingredients to brew this. Scaled up to 12 gals. Altered the grains- did half maris otter/half 2 row for the base malts instead. And subbed in Crystal 120L for the special B since the LHBS was out.
Anyway. Planning on fermenting for 3 months, maybe more and then aging in a 10 gal rye whiskey barrel.
Pretty excited!

Man the wait is killing me. I Tried one after one month just to check carbonation and there was some present but man was this boozy. It's gonna take a few more months at least for the bourbon to smooth into the background. It has tremendous potential though.

Just finished brewing this one. Probably shouldn't have picked it for getting back into the game after 2 months of not brewing.

Bumped the 2-row to 18lbs because I brew 6 gallon batches.

10845733_856683407722260_8191664307398334886_o.jpg

During the mash, I had trouble with my RIMS pump sucking air half way through. Eventually traced it to a bad seal on the QD coming from my mash tun drain. During the process temperature of the mash dropped really low. Got temps back up and mashed out.

10835022_856741914383076_5688939096350750589_o.jpg

Had to do a second fly-sparge... ran out of sparge water (dang this beer is thirsty), and had to heat up more. Stirred the mash and re-circ'd at 165 untill second batch of sparge water was heated. Sparged about 11 gallons of wort total, stopping when I hit around 1.015 from the mash tun. This resulted in a starting gravity of ~1.070 (770 points --> 1.128 OG at 6 gallons). Looks like I hit 87% efficiency.

10987425_856817127708888_895793235367310718_o.jpg

Temperature outside was too cold for my burner to get a solid boil in my keggle. Drained into my HLT and put it on the stove inside. No where near the boil I normally use, so I let it go until I reached about 7.5 gallons, then started my 90 minute (I almost always boil 90 minutes) timer. Probably a total of 4 hours at a low boil.

10295437_856916081032326_7849666393219357345_o.jpg

Hops from the LHBS were at 8.9% and 5.6% AA respectively. With the OG projecting to be higher than expected, I ran with the original amounts. BeerSmith says 105 IBU's for a .872 IBU/SG ratio, pretty close to the recipe.

Finished the boil with 6 gallons and enough for a 1.2 liter starter (pulled 15 minutes into the boil, so 1.070). My refractometer was giving inconsistent readings, but 1.120 OG is looking correct. Since I moved inside, I did a no-chill and will pitch my starter tomorrow.

11002699_856936767696924_6524054838313473434_o.jpg

Starter consisted of all the US-05 I washed from a 5 gallon batch of cream ale. Should equate to about 4 packets of yeast.

EDIT:

Three hours later
10960482_857045927686008_6853905948398517828_o.jpg

All in all, it was a success... but the process resulted in one of the longest, most painful brew-days I've had yet... and I still haven't gotten around to cleaning up my equipment.

Okay, so, this has been sitting in 16-oz EZ Cap bottles in the crawlspace since about mid-August. The Christmas party, where I'll be doling these out, is next weekend. Should I throw them bottles in the fridge for a bit to help them settle out, or should they be more or less settled at this point?

I suspect probably the latter, but figured I'd ask before I repurposed the minifridge.

Just checking back in to say that this was a huge hit with everyone that got one, to the point that I kinda wish I made a full batch.

Ive been thinking about brewing a stout and this one seems like a good one to try. Im thinking of making a half batch and have it ready to drink next christmas. One thing i really like in big stouts is a little bit of vanilla. Not much but a hint. How would i add that to this? Ive never used vanilla in beer but it seems like you use it like dry-hop? When and how much would be appropriate in this one?

2 months aged in secondary on knob creek oak cubes bottled just over 2 months ago, first one tried one month ago to check carbonation tasted like a great stout that just had a huge shot of bourbon poured into it, it needed time. Now one month later WOW so much smoother, now a little more oak, still just slightly boozy but it is an 11.5% beer but it's hitting stride, it's so good. A friend here just had some and swears it tastes like kbs, I know that's high praise and I've had kbs and its close. Either way this is turning out great.

Made this as my first stout 3 years ago with great success. I currently am using this recipe again as the base to a loose world wide stout clone. 8% and counting, 10 to go!

I rarely add to any threads, but this is an insane RIS! I'm thinking about infusing dark roasted bourbon chips on my next batch. It only gets better with age. I let mine sit in secondary for 5 months. Insane beer. Who ever came up with the recipe, THANK YOU

silly question:
anyone ever add grape juice concentrate to this/ any RIS recipe? what about oak aging with wine soaked chips?

Brewed this 4 days ago. Everything went great but the acitivity in the arilock only lasted for 2 days. It started pretty much right but 2 days later it had stopped... should i raise the temp or is this normal for that english ale yeast?

I'd wait until day 10 then check your gravity. Mine went crazy for 36hrs I lost .5 gal to blowoff but I pitched a huge starter and I also left it in primary for one month before I racked to secondary on oak cubes. Big beers like this just take a lot of time so be patient and even after a gravity check on day 10 or 14 I'd still leave it a month. What are your germ temps at right now. If it's in a warm like 68-72 deg environment it's possible the yeast blew through this already.

I'd wait until day 10 then check your gravity. Mine went crazy for 36hrs I lost .5 gal to blowoff but I pitched a huge starter and I also left it in primary for one month before I racked to secondary on oak cubes. Big beers like this just take a lot of time so be patient and even after a gravity check on day 10 or 14 I'd still leave it a month. What are your germ temps at right now. If it's in a warm like 68-72 deg environment it's possible the yeast blew through this already.

The thermometer on the bucket says 69F. Its abit colder in the room though. Ill do the full one month primary and one month secondary. Ill check gravity when racking to secondary. If its too high ill add some us-05...

Quick question: I put this recipe into Beersmith and it is giving me an estimated IBUs of only 34.9. It's saying that the East Kent Goldings at 30 minutes will only contribute 7.1, which is definitely the error. Any idea why this is? This seems really low, but I'm thinking I'll just trust your recipe (which is very thorough, BTW, thank you).

Just brewed this, hit 1.100 O.G. And did a 2.5 gallon partigyle with Crystal hops with 1.050 O.G. Pretty damn excited!

Quick question: I put this recipe into Beersmith and it is giving me an estimated IBUs of only 34.9. It's saying that the East Kent Goldings at 30 minutes will only contribute 7.1, which is definitely the error. Any idea why this is? This seems really low, but I'm thinking I'll just trust your recipe (which is very thorough, BTW, thank you).

I am sure you figured it out already. Did you make sure the alpha acids for brewsmith were 5.8% for the EKG as marubozo had in the recipe?

I am going to be brewing this Thursday.

Will be using a big starter with White Labs Irish Ale (WLP004), and then after 48 hours I will be pitching a smaller starter of White Labs San Diego Super (WLP090) using some wort from the brew. Has anyone tried something similar to get the beer to finish a little lower? I have both sitting around, so it doesn't cost me any more than normal.

I am going to be brewing this Thursday.

Will be using a big starter with White Labs Irish Ale (WLP004), and then after 48 hours I will be pitching a smaller starter of White Labs San Diego Super (WLP090) using some wort from the brew. Has anyone tried something similar to get the beer to finish a little lower? I have both sitting around, so it doesn't cost me any more than normal.

What are you going for with this beer? Already finishes pretty low (too low imo) compared to other imperial stouts. Any lower and it might be a thin bitter mess. I personally wouldn't use wlp090 on this or probably any stout unless the og was much higher... but I like imperials with a lot mouthfeel and some nice balanced sweetness.

What are you going for with this beer? Already finishes pretty low (too low imo) compared to other imperial stouts. Any lower and it might be a thin bitter mess. I personally wouldn't use wlp090 on this or probably any stout unless the og was much higher... but I like imperials with a lot mouthfeel and some nice balanced sweetness.

I would like for it to finish about 1.020, not 1.028-1.030 (which is the high end for an imperial). I am not looking for a syrupy mess. Regardless, I decided to use a different RIS and the new Omega British strain (comparable to WLP007)

I would like for it to finish about 1.020, not 1.028-1.030 (which is the high end for an imperial). I am not looking for a syrupy mess. Regardless, I decided to use a different RIS and the new Omega British strain (comparable to WLP007)

It could definitely turn out good at 1.020, you just might want to lower the ibus. I'd be worried about wlp090 dropping it around 1.015 or possibly lower.

This recipe is really good as is though. Not too sweet. With others imperials I usually aim for around 1.040, but balance it with a lot of biterness and roast, plus a higher OG. 1.030 might be on the high end of the style guides, but a lot of highly acclaimed stouts finish above 1.040. Bcbs, huna, assassin, abraxas, darkness, etc.

Completely unintentionally bottled this from the keg one year to the day :). Brewed 4/6/14, primary for 1 month, racked to a keg and tucked it away in a corner of the basement. Completely forgot when it was but threw it on gas maybe a couple months ago probably when I was cleaning out the basement. Today I needed space in the keezer for my usual spring rotations and found it in the way so I bottled it into a bunch of 12oz and 1L bottles I had around. Took a brief look at my brew notes out of curiosity and couldn't help but laugh. Turned out to be a great beer, I definitely need to brew this again soon so I can forget about it and enjoy it a year on down the road. Just hoping for some colder Denver nights where it's actually appropriate, we won't have too many of those left anytime soon.

Sorry too lazy to look through all the posts. Did you do anything with your water? Distilled? Minerals? Anything info would be great

Any one have a good water profile
For a ris brewing this up next and since I started tinkering with water figured better figure out what will do best for this one too lol

Can the original poster share the water profile for this? Thanks.

I wouldn't wait for a response; the original poster hasn't been active since May of 2013.
I'd search for what's typical for the style.

Three months out from the brew day, and I find myself unable to wait for it to age:
20150511_203610_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Started at 1.106 and finished at 1.026 for 10.5%. Had to re-pitch at 1.032 to get those last few points out.

I've also successfully added Sriracha (a-la Rouge's Sriracha Russian Imperial) at a dosage of 3/4 tsp per 12oz bottle or 1 tsp per 20 oz.

I call it Siberia (or Mongolia, for the sriracha version):
11129412_889218487802085_7484687556909133938_o.png

11148491_889218404468760_3989590116944834611_o.png

I am a weak fool who still does the extract brewing. I took morebeers RIS recipe and added 1 lbs of DME and added 3 star anise seed pods to the boil at 10 minutes left, and I like to add 2 oz of oak chips soaked in makers mark into the carboy. Even though it calls for dr English yeast I find the 'American style' low temp yeast in the red packet works best. It does blow off like crazy btw.

Getting ready to brew this and have some concerns with using the 1968/002, building up a big starter now, anyone had any issues with it not finishing out?

I'm also doubling the chocolate (cutting the roasted barley down to 1lb and cutting out the cara-pils completely) to try to get some big chocolate flavor, too much?

Getting ready to brew this and have some concerns with using the 1968/002, building up a big starter now, anyone had any issues with it not finishing out?

I'm also doubling the chocolate (cutting the roasted barley down to 1lb and cutting out the cara-pils completely) to try to get some big chocolate flavor, too much?

I just bottled a ris I designed and used wlp002 and it went from 1.098 to 1.020 in prob 2 weeks but I didn't check it for the first reading until the two week mark. Now I mashed for 90 min and mashed low at 152 because I wasn't sure this yeast could get low without some help, I just didn't want it to stall out. I made a 5.5L starter but that's mainly because I don't have a stirplate. Anyway, if u mash a little lower and use a huge starter this yeast will do the trick. Oh my ferm temp never got higher than 66 during primary fermentation then when it stopped blowing off I put in an airlock and moved it upstairs where it's 68-70 deg and I def think that helped the yeast cleanup. Good luck.

So I brewed this 3 weeks ago and screwed it up pretty bad. Started with 1.25/qt per gallon of filtered San Jose tap water and mashed for 60 minutes at 151F. pH during the mash was 5.7, surprisingly high for the amount of roasted grains. Preboil OG was 1.060, post boil OG was only 1.078 after a two hour boil and 6oz of DME in boil (what I had on hand). A lot lower than the anticipated 1.100 OG

I took a trip out of town for a night the day of brewing, and came back to my chest freezer the next day with 3" of RIS at the bottom. The blowoff was so strong that the liquid came up and out. I know that I screwed this up by using my bottling wand as the first half of my blowoff tube, because my standard housing wouldn't fit on my airlock I had to adapt. The bottling wand was nearly touching the wort without krausen.

Was my OG so low because I only mashed for 60min? Should I wait 90? Runoff slower? I'm re brewing this again and don't want to screw it up. Thanks for any help!

Hey everyone,

I bought the ingredients for this at half batch. how do I go about mashing? I assume I take the 10 pounds of grain, mash using 4.5 or 5 gallons, and don't sparge?

then I am going to try the parti-gyle with the sparge water and do 2 boils.

Am I close on this?

June 27(Saturday) I made a 50 qt batch using 28 lbs of maris otter. yield after boil was 8.5 gallons. OG was 1075. racked last night at 1020. Flavor was very coffee. I made 2 mistakes. First I forgot the cara pils.
Second, I'm a cooler brewer and did not change my water heating strategy. hence it did not hold in the 151 degree target. so I lost some sugar development. I figured I'd hit 1.090 easily. I tasted while sparing and flavor was excellent. On rack it was heavy on the coffee flavor. To this point excellent recipe. My thoughts at this time a little more chocolate. The recipe called for wlp002. I used 1968. I racked into 2 carboys. I will bottle in November for drinking in December.

In 2008, I was introduced Founders KBS by Mike at the Oak Café in Wyandot, Mi. Fell in love with KBS. I felt it was a little too bitty. So with
my usual not to leave good thing lie. I dumped the oatmeal stout and bought a batch of wort from homewine supply in Dundee, Mi. only I bought 5 gallons of RIS and on rack added 4 oz Starbucks Coffee beans, soaked 10 oz of dark toasted French in a pint of xo brandy for six months. I call it a gentlemans coffee stout. This is what I will be tasting later this year. Note I drain the brandy off the oak before adding to carboy. I figure the brandy adds at least 1 percent alcohol to mix. Friends with taste buds tell me I fit between KBS and Black note.

I'm finally going to be able to brew this one, and I'm going to scale it up to 9 gallons. I think that is about all I'd manage to fit into my keggle Mash Tun, and still have enough room to stir it up! I think I have the recipe down. I entered it into BeerSmith, and tinkered with it until it matched pretty close to the original. If you haven't read through all the pages, then I should note that the percentages on the hops were accidentally reversed by the OP. If you enter them as they are listed, you'll have trouble getting the right numbers.

Anyway, going with the following:

30 lbs 2oz Briess Pale Malt
2lbs 10 oz Roasted Barley
1lb 12 oz Special B Malt
1lb 5.3oz Chocolate Malt 350L
14.4oz Carapils

10.5 oz Challenger 60 min
5oz EKG 30 min

Bumped up slightly so I have an anticipated OG of exactly 1.100, and an ABV of 10.1%

Using US Base malt, because I already have it. Hops are measured with the percentages of the original poster, so I will adjust accordingly once I go out to my freezer and check my actual percentages.

Once brewed, I plan to age it in my whiskey barrel I purchased, but have never managed to use. I hope to have this one ready for late January for either my birthday or the Super Bowl in early Feb 2016!

Last edited:
I brewed this one about 6 months ago. It was a superb stout already after 1 month in bottle. Now its even better and everyone loves it! I will definitely brew this one again but with more hops in the late addition...

Great beer. This just placed 3rd in Table 13 (Stout) at the 2015 Oregon State Fair Homebrew comp with 40.5 points.

Brew, keg and immediately brew again. Don't get caught out with the wait on this one!

Great beer. This just placed 3rd in Table 13 (Stout) at the 2015 Oregon State Fair Homebrew comp with 40.5 points.

Brew, keg and immediately brew again. Don't get caught out with the wait on this one!

How old was your beer at time of judging? Just brewed my 2nd batch of this. Congrats on placing.

Back