Is it okay to leave my beer on ale yeast at 60F while I'm gone 4 the weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I wanted to keg this weekend but I am suddenly going out of town. Figured I'd just cold crash to 60F and leave it until Sunday. Is that okay or should I go colder?

How long has it been fermenting, what kind of yeast, and what style of beer are you trying to make?

Generally, it'll probably be okay, but there are times it might be too cool and could result in a stuck fermentation or lack of yeast character for a specific style. Some styles, it might really benefit to be that cool.

if you don't need any more fermentation out of it, should be okay. 60 is pretty low for an ale yeast (with certain exceptions), but if it's done fermenting, i wouldn't be concerned.

It's done fermenting. Been on the WLP060 3 weeks. I was gonna keg it but I had to go out of town. I had already turned the heater off. I didn't want to risk a fire leaving it on while I was not there.

I wouldn't exactly call 60F a cold crash (think more like 34F for that), but it won't hurt the beer.

Definetly not a cold crash. My closet is cold where my fermenter sits and usually ferment at 58-60 without problem.

Back