Keggle capacity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptKaos

Reaction score
If a keggle holds 16 gallons, is it possible to do 15 gallon all grain batches? I want to start building a single tier system like the Brutus 10 and hear this system is only good for ten gallon batches.

I am a noob and have not tried AG yet.

It's always smart to lave yourself 2-3 gallons of head room. I was boiling a 10 gal batch (started with 13 gallons in the keggle post mash/sparge) and I barely caught it before it boiled over when I walked across thegarage.

Keggles hold 15.5 gallons . You wouldn't be able to do an all grain batch in one and expect to yield 15 gallons after boil off even with fermcap you would be adding water during the boil or after to get the right volume. I used to do 10 gallon batches with about 13 in the keggle ,11 going into primary. Now I have a 30 gallon boil pot and when I do a double batch of 20 I still will get a boil over once an awhile

I was told that a 1/2 barrel keg holds 7.5 cases of beer. That equates to 16.875 gallons of beer. My calc= 7.5casesx24beers per case=180beers. 180beersx12ozs=2160ozs 2160ozs/128ozs per gallon=16.875 gallons. I see that you would need more space for boil over control tho.

I do 15 gallon batches of smaller beers, under 1.060. I just make my grain bill and hop additions for 15 gallons, brew 13, boil down to 11 and then just top off the kettle to 15.5 gallons while chilling. Separate into 3 buckets using 3 different yeasts or dry hop them differently and get 3 different beers.

I was told that a 1/2 barrel keg holds 7.5 cases of beer. That equates to 16.875 gallons of beer. My calc= 7.5casesx24beers per case=180beers. 180beersx12ozs=2160ozs 2160ozs/128ozs per gallon=16.875 gallons. I see that you would need more space for boil over control tho.

Don't know who told you that, but a standard sanke keg holds 15.5 gallons.
In a 60 minute boil, I loose at least 1.5 to 2 gallons. No chance I could do a full 60 minute boil for a 15 gallon batch.

Don't know who told you that, but a standard sanke keg holds 15.5 gallons.
In a 60 minute boil, I loose at least 1.5 to 2 gallons. No chance I could do a full 60 minute boil for a 15 gallon batch.

A keg holds 15.5 gallons, but the top is domed when closed. Once you cut it, it holds less than 15.5 gallons, actually because the domed top is off. It probably holds 15.25 gallons, maybe a bit less, right to the tippy top. My HLT is a keggle, but because of the copper HERMS coil, it holds 14 gallons to the top.

A keg holds 15.5 gallons, but the top is domed when closed. Once you cut it, it holds less than 15.5 gallons, actually because the domed top is off. It probably holds 15.25 gallons, maybe a bit less, right to the tippy top. My HLT is a keggle, but because of the copper HERMS coil, it holds 14 gallons to the top.

x2. I calibrated my keggle/volume dowel this week-end. I was able to fit 15.0 gallons in the keggle with about 1" to spare, but that would be inside the dome. Mine is cut at about 2" away from the outside edge.

In any case, I second what everyone said. A keg is 15.5gallons to the near the top of the inside of the upper dome.

I reiterate that you could do a 13-14 gallon boil (you'd have to be eagle-eyed for a 14) and either add the extra spargings during the last 5 minutes, or add water after the boil is done.

M_C

Back